.243 for Rabbits?

I have a 243 223 and 22. I have shot jack rabbits with the 243 even at 200+ yards it goes right through. The 36g 223 work best. I love using the 22lr for rabbits but no cheap lead free so I use the 223. But yes a 243 will work. But so would a 50bmg?

.243 for cottontails?.........Yeah, I'd say that's a bit much............ :eek:

Jack's?..........Shoot whatever......... ;)

SurfNHuntSD said:
Baldkrash said:
Didn't really matter as I didn't see a single rabbit this morning :'(
I went this morning, shot a couple wabbits but not interesting enough to take pics. Also saw a hen with some young ones.
Always good to hear people are seeing poults. Up in the Central Valley Neil sees lots of turkeys, but no babies at all this year :(

Sent via Tapatalk

Baldkrash

These are my hopefully helpful hints.
look for lower grassy rolling hills, lower elevation. between 1000-4000 feet.
try to scout early mourning right at daybreak. rabbit are nocturnal. I have seen them running around all night.
look for open rolling fields & mixed of low lying brush and mixture of both.
look for signs of rabbit pellets, & trails with tracks. look for grass & brush. that's what they like to feed on. just beware these areas are also the hunts of rattlers, so keep your eye's on the ground. I use snake chaps this time of year. and boots that cover my ankles.

Good luck man if your live in San Diego I will PM you if I get a chance to go. right now in the middle of getting stuff organized. I mostly use a 12 gage with 6 shot. hahaha because it's easier for me.

Ghost said:
Baldkrash

try to scout early mourning right at daybreak. rabbit are nocturnal. I have seen them running around all night.
look for signs of rabbit pellets, & trails with tracks. look for grass & brush. that's what they like to feed on. just beware these areas are also the hunts of rattlers, so keep your eye's on the ground. I use snake chaps this time of year. and boots that cover my ankles.

Good luck man if your live in San Diego I will PM you if I get a chance to go. right now in the middle of getting stuff organized. I mostly use a 12 gage with 6 shot. hahaha because it's easier for me.

Just wanted to say thank you for the general tips, from someone trying to learn hunt in NE LA County.

ThatKidCASH said:
Ghost said:
Baldkrash

Just wanted to say thank you for the general tips, from someone trying to learn hunt in NE LA County.

also wanted to add that bunnies dig burrows in the ground . which they use to hide from predators. & that is why sometimes they are not around . hahaha because they sleeping during the day.
we are all brothers here, glad I could help. hahahaha now get them bunnies.

Yep they like coming out in the early evenings to feed and such, which is a good chance to pick em off with the 22. As of late though I've had good success in the mornings brush busting the bunnies that are denned up already. Its always fun and good practice swinging the shotgun on a fast rabbit.

SurfNHuntSD said:
Yep they like coming out in the early evenings to feed and such, which is a good chance to pick em off with the 22. As of late though I've had good success in the mornings brush busting the bunnies that are denned up already. Its always fun and good practice swinging the shotgun on a fast rabbit.

good stuff there Surf, we need all the help we can get hahaha.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu