26" vs 28" barrel?

Next time I'm out in the desert with the labradar @NBK . I'll shoot my Monti wth a 21" barrel and a 28" the speed will be the same and the patern will be the same
How can the pattern be the same at distance??? Was donig some reading on this and evrything I read seems to be the same except velocity coming out of the barrel.

I don’t know much and I know less than most but my guess is that with a shotgun the patten is all dependent on the choke at the end of the barrel. As for velocity the length probably doesn’t matter since unlike a rifle shot will allow pressure to escape so at a certain length it is probably pointless.
Really I don’t know what I am talking about this is all just my uneducated guessing.

Reactions: MAG 1
Mark,

It's mostly because of the modern day wads....In the old days, the barrel length made a difference because it held the shot together longer....Paper wads in those days and no plastic cup.

ps....Speed kills....;)

Reactions: TRICER
Mark,

It's mostly because of the modern day wads....In the old days, the barrel length made a difference because it held the shot together longer....Paper wads in those days and no plastic cup.

ps....Speed kills....;)
You know what kills better than speed...... Lead. We shot 20ga #7.5 2 3/4 cheap lead in Argentina it killed ducks deader than any steel I have shot.

Patern is set by the choke. The shot is all contained in the wad that is stabilized and done gaining velocity by 20" after that its just running a long a tube.

Forcing cone can effect speed and patern but most modern guns have long forcing cones already.

I have multiple 12-20 gauge shotguns as do most of us with different size barrel lengths. I can say from personal experience while trap shooting I notice a big difference between an 21' barrel and a 28". YMMV

Also the barrel length choice could/would depend on the size of the shooter and what feels right. A 28' pump/semi feels right to me. A 26-30" feels great to me in an over/under as well with the shorter OAL.

That being said, an older belief is that the heavier/longer barrels force follow through which helps turn a cylindrical shot pattern to more of an elliptical pattern increasing your averages. Most high end semi's are offered with weighted magazine tube caps.

With the new 14" forcing cones that are being used in shotguns now they drastically reduced the length of the shot string. So follow through will help with not shooting behind your moving target but does not have as much affect your shot string shape anymore. as your shot string is now arriving at the target and almost the same time.

Just my opinion and worth as much as you paid for it.

Last edited:
One of the covenants I first stated was hunting guns versus clays guns....Really two different animals....The heavier, longer barreled clay guns DO give you a longer sight plain (skeet guns excepted)....You're normally starting with the gun near or at the shoulder....You're also shooting 1000's of rounds (weight reduces recoil).

Upland hunting guns are usually carried and shoot lighter loads. Even recoil pads are/were rarely used...Hence, their lightness & shorter barrels for quicker close range shots.

Waterfowl guns are NOT carried much and shoot much heavier loads....Hence, their heaviness and longer barrels for longer range shots.

What gun applies to all hunting situations?....If I could only own one?....It would be the Benelli SBE lll with a 26" barrel….Light, quick to the shoulder, adjustable comb, and heavy enough for any waterfowl loads....Oh, and they kill turkeys great too....lol

ps....Books are written about this stuff....Just this old guys 2 cents

.011.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu