280 Ackley Improved

It's a joke post, that image is fake

They call it keyholing and it's when your bullets do not stabilize. Most of the time from lack of spin

Are those bullets tumbling , if not why the oblong holes

Bullets either ran out of gas or were never spun correctly. This is what happens when folks shoot copper with the wrong spin rate. Then blame the bullet. Just a saying...

Reactions: Morgan1776
So I just got my new 260 build back from FFA and I love it. Hopefully I will have some groups up on here for you guys by mid January.

I now have my old 260 Tikka that I want to put a build on for my elk gun. What are your thoughts on the 280 Ackley Improved? If I go with my current .473 bolt face all I would need to do is re-barrel and put a new stock on the gun. Tikka only uses a long action so I wouldn't need to modify the bolt or action at all for the 280AI.
Originally I was planning on going 7mm Rem Mag or 300wsm but the 280 AI seems like a pretty awesome cartridge. It falls right in there with the 7mm RM and uses less powder. The only thing I don't like is the lack of available ammunition. I hand load but if something goes wrong like I forget my ammo there will be no stopping by wal-mart to grab a box.

I will be loading bullets for this in the 160-180g range. I like the ballistics of the 7mm vs the 30 calibers.

What are your thoughts? Does anyone have one?

Just curious...if you were going with a cartridge with that required a larger bolt face would you buy a new bolt or have your current one modified? I am contemplating going a similar route but modifying my .308 to a 6.5 PRC (requires larger bolt face)...then buying a 300 WSM for elk. This also has me on the fence about going with a 6.5-284 Norma (I get to keep my current bolt face) and your 280 AI has me wondering if I should use that for both and if I even need a 300 WSM (the answer is both yes and no).

Just curious...if you were going with a cartridge with that required a larger bolt face would you buy a new bolt or have your current one modified? I am contemplating going a similar route but modifying my .308 to a 6.5 PRC (requires larger bolt face)...then buying a 300 WSM for elk. This also has me on the fence about going with a 6.5-284 Norma (I get to keep my current bolt face) and your 280 AI has me wondering if I should use that for both and if I even need a 300 WSM (the answer is both yes and no).
Depends on your rifle a new bolt would be relatively inexpensive $250-$400. 300wsm is a Bitchen cartridge so is 6.5prc.
You will need a long action for a 280 Ackley.

Reactions: JakeSCH and NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu