30-06 for everything???!

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
30-06 or bust for me in 2024. In a time where you have to shoot the newest cartridge and are called a fudd for shooting anything else. This season I will be leaving the custom rifles in the safe and will be shooting a Factory Browning X-Bolt in 30-06 for all my rifle hunts. I topped it with a Maven RS1.2 and will be shooting Hammer 151AH monos pushed by old reliable H4350.

I am really concerned that in 2024 the 30-06 is incapable of killing animals. Below is a list of my rifle hunts for this season we will see if this caliber is obsolete.

August Maui Axis Deer
September Antelope
Oct/Nov So Cal Deer
Nov 3rd Season Mule Deer
January Sonora Coues

Stay tuned, I will let you know in this thread if the bullets bounce off.

Oh one last thing it has a stock made out of some weird organic material???

IMG_9671.jpeg

I don't have to tell you because you know better, You can walk the world with that old school piece of steel and get it done. My only suggestion is that you should replace the scope with a 40's era Weaver 4X and then you would pay full tribute to all the folks that have written the books that we have all read and try to be as good at the craft as they were. I look forward to reading the stories surrounding this rifle. Good luck...

30-06 or bust for me in 2024. In a time where you have to shoot the newest cartridge and are called a fudd for shooting anything else. This season I will be leaving the custom rifles in the safe and will be shooting a Factory Browning X-Bolt in 30-06 for all my rifle hunts. I topped it with a Maven RS1.2 and will be shooting Hammer 151AH monos pushed by old reliable H4350.

I am really concerned that in 2024 the 30-06 is incapable of killing animals. Below is a list of my rifle hunts for this season we will see if this caliber is obsolete.

August Maui Axis Deer
September Antelope
Oct/Nov So Cal Deer
Nov 3rd Season Mule Deer
January Sonora Coues

Stay tuned, I will let you know in this thread if the bullets bounce off.

Oh one last thing it has a stock made out of some weird organic material???

View attachment 62454

Yeah, my go to is still my Howa 1500 .30 .06. The deer don’t care about a shooter’s Gucci Rifle. 150 grain TTSX BT has not failed me yet. Three Junior Tags filled with that rifle. Kids can shoot it. You will smoke them. Looking forward to your reports.

John

I am bringing a filmer on all
The hunts this year. That list doesn’t include our youth tags, muzzle loader, or archery tags. It’s gonna be an epic year. I might even shoot a duck or two.
Keep killing diude...it gets better...kids are Awesome!! Ducks are a whole different level...like serious skill...im shooting one this year ..

I had a 30-06 just like that for my first rifle. We never got along, sort of like the blond I dated in my early 20's. My .308 is pretty old school and if I can't figure out a reliable load for the 7 PRC, the .308 will be the go to again this year.

Reactions: TRICER
I had a Ruger M77 30.06 as my first rifle for deer & elk. I used it for 20 years. It had a really stiff trigger, I had a high flinch-factor and could almost get a 7" group at 100 yards, with the occasional flyer.

On a recommendation from a buddy, I bought a Browning A-Bolt .300WIN MAG with the Boss and topped it with a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40. I broke in the barrel and came up with a sub 1" group at 100 yards. The trigger is perfect and I am flinch-free. I heart shot my bull at 363 yards and dumped him in 40 yards. That is my go-to rifle.

I may get a new trigger for the 30.06 soon, just to see what kind of a group I could come up with.

I am gonna go home from Sonora with a giant or nothing this year.

Bringing the bow to Maui in a few weeks. I am in love with archery.
Drew, I think you may have reached another stage in being a hunter (there are seven stages to being a hunter look it up) Now its about changing the challenge. Good luck, I look forward to hearing the stories that follow. P.S. keep it easy for the kids as they are not ready for what you are about to do and if they get a few under their belt with fire arms I think they will want to follow you on the path you are on.

Drew, I think you may have reached another stage in being a hunter (there are seven stages to being a hunter look it up) Now its about changing the challenge. Good luck, I look forward to hearing the stories that follow. P.S. keep it easy for the kids as they are not ready for what you are about to do and if they get a few under their belt with fire arms I think they will want to follow you on the path you are on.
The boys have a few good mule deer tags this year. I am hoping they can put some good bucks on the ground in 2024

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu