300 WSM vs 300 WM

For the 300WSM I like the 174 HH. For the 300WM in a factory rifle I like the 181 HH.
Ya that 181 is going to be a killer combo with the 300WM. Perfect combination of velocity and energy. Especially with it being a mono it will be a deep penetrating killer.

Well bought my new rifle today at Fine Firearms!! Decided to go with a Christensen Arms Mesa Ti in 300 WM!

It feels great, now looking forward to doing some load development and firing it when I get to pick it up in a couple of weeks!!!

Picked up some ADG BRASS as well

thank you @NBK!!

Going to put a Razor HD LHT 3-15 (19.1 oz) with Hawkins Precisions scope rings.

Plan on feeding it a diet of 181gr Hammers and 190gr LRX being pushed by H1000 or RL23. Going to try different combos and pick the one it shoots best.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRICER and NBK
Well I decided to put my Maven on the 300 WM because it’s well built and keep the Razor HD LHT on my 6.5 PRC

Overall it’s a “heavy” setup coming in at 9 lb 1 oz, but there is a lot of weight to be dropped in the stock (just like my 6.5 PRC).

The gun came weighing 8 oz over what Christensen Arms verbally told me them over the phone. I called them today and they gave me an option swap out stocks to save me (estimated 6 oz). If I have to mail my entire rifle to them I’ll probably just deal with the weight this year and swap out the stocks to save 12 to 16 oz next year.

I’ll find out tomorrow how she shoots.

833DA3FB-1AD6-48F9-8C1D-07A87EEC82A8.jpegE68710BD-2010-40C8-92DC-2371059807DD.jpeg

That is a good looking setup Jake. The stock color is very cool and the Maven looks good on it. Can't wait to here how it shoots!

I took it to the range today. I did not have a lot of time, so I used 4 rounds of factory ammo to get my close at 25 yards and took to 100 to test my loads.

CA Mesa Ti - 300 WM
190 gr LRX
0.040 of lands
H1000
ADG Brass

77.0 - 2893
77.5 - 2894
78.0 - 2922
78.5 - 2952
79.0 - 2972
79.5 - 2975

Since I was in a rush, no led sled just my bipod and rear bag on a bench. My goal was ~3000 fps for this bullet, so I will be happy with 2975 FPS.

Overall, my rifle coming in at 9 lb might be a blessing because the recoil is extremely manageable and borderline mild. I was very pleased with how little the gun recoiled compared to my tikka t3x 308.

Shots @ 100 yard numbered in the order above. #4 of clearly all on me.
300WM.PNG

6 months later and 2 dead elk to show. One just over 100 yards and the other at 650 yards...I must say this combo has worked well.

Reactions: Morgan1776 and NBK
I had a Browning xbolt in 300 WSM but it was light and had no brake and made me flinch. Tried a 300 Win Mag in a heavier Weatherby Accuguard and after a bit I was flinching again. So I shoot nothing heavier that a .270 and .280 now. But if you’re a reloader I definitely preferred the 300 WSM because even though there is less powder space it doesn’t have that short neck - 168s had to be seated very deep in the WinMag, below the cannelure . Both were very accurate when I could control them. If I had to do it again I’d put a muzzle break on it and use ear protection. But Ive only been on one elk hunt and you just don’t need a 300 for deer.

If you are just hunting and not shooting all the time a wm is great. I have a load 180 grainer at 3200 fps that will zip through anything out to a thousand yards no problem. My CA copper loads, still workin on.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu