308 in the $500 price range

NBK said:
I have bought my share of guns online and now only do it if I am looking for something no one else has or can get. Buying from a local shop in the long run will generally save you money. Here is why:

You are not saving sales tax - by law you have to pay California sales tax on not only the gun you buy online but also the shipping (ya I know some companies ship for "free").

You will be paying a transfer fee through the dealer which as noted above is $40 - $100.

Here is where the local guy is worth his price:

You can go down to a local store and handle his inventory. Questions can be asked and physical comparisons can be made. That is worth something.

If your gun isn't right (and this happens) you have a dealer to back you up. Here is a real example I personally experienced a week ago:

A friend ordered a "Browning" 625 Citori Light locally. Payed only half up front and when the gun came in - the wood was not to his liking. No problem - the dealer called the Rep and the gun was sent back and a new one re-sent. New one arrives and my friend shows up in dove camp with a Citori that has beautiful wood. What an expensive hassle that would have been if ordered on line. Pick your online nightmare scenario and fill in the blanks.

Some local companies will work with its customers regarding payments and layaway's. Customer service is a huge deal in my book and is worth a bunch when needed most.

To each his own, but I have learned that supporting local shops is not only good for you when you're in a pinch but good for all of us regarding local economy.

You're right John we should help local stores specially those stores where you get the attention and customer service you deserve and is worth to leave your money in.

I bought a savage 116 trophy hunter XP in .300 win mag. Stainless barrel, and stainless action with a decent Nikon scope on it for $730 out the door. I have hit targets at 400 yards with it as is. I'm very happy with the gun especially for the price! I can't wait to have a big buck step in front of the BDC reticle

Hope you shoot a whopper Emichie.

The Savage rifle package with the Nikon BDC is a hard combo to beat for the money. The floating bolt-face and the Accu-trigger make the Savage an accurate rifle.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu