4 Bucks down in three days

Lungpopper

GLASS,GLASS,GLASS
Staff member
Mar 2, 2011
Lakeside
schoutdoors.com
Made the trip to Idaho to hunt with Tim (AKA) Top Buck. Our friend Tom and Tim's son Tyler would be hunting also. Tom and I got up there a couple of days early to get an idea of what the area looked like. Tyler came into camp on Thursday and Tim showed up on Friday with the season starting on Saturday.
Saturday morning Tyler and I were up on a great vantage point overlooking a number of bucks with one catching our eye. Before we could make a move on them four other guys moved into the area and chased the bucks over the hill. So Tyler and I decided to make a move to the other end of the ridge in hopes that these guys would push the bucks up that way. Sure enough they crossed like we thought they would and bedded in some trees 1,400 yards away.
An hour later Tyler and I were 250 yards away watching a 5x5 and a 3x3 feed. We talked about it and decided I would take the shot on the big one and Tyler would pass on the 3x3. BOOM I hit him between the neck and the shoulder blade pushing him back a few feet. The buck regained his footing and bolted down hill. We found him 50 yards down the hill.

Attachments

• IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 52
After some high fives and some pictures we headed back to camp and found out Top Buck had lived up to his name by shooting a great buck with lots of character and points everywhere you looked. (Hopefully he will give the story of his hunt in this thread) More high fives and some celebrating for the first day of the Idaho rifle season.

Attachments

• IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    561.2 KB · Views: 52
The next day we found some bucks but couldn’t make it happen. Day three we are sitting on the hill from opening day and found two really nice 180 class bucks feeding. Tyler and Tom took off to try and get a shot at them only to watch the white of their butts cross over the hill and they were gone. Tim and I spot another buck about a half mile down the ridge and let the guys know how to get to him. Half hour later Tyler's gun is booming with a 3x5 buck down.

Attachments

• IMG_1270 (1).JPG
    IMG_1270 (1).JPG
    784.3 KB · Views: 51
That evening we are sitting on the hot spot again and I spot a buck to our right it was a 3x2 and Tom wanted him. Moved Tom down the hill a ways and got into position 300 yards from the buck. The buck was feeding and fed his way behind some trees. Took a long time for him to show himself and it was starting to get dark. Tom took the shot and crack. Sounded good but ended up following the blood trail for close to a mile with the flashlights in our cell phones. We ended up pushing him at one point and decided to come back in the morning. Marked the spot with GPS and pulled out. Next morning we went back to the spot and found Toms deer just a few hundred yards from where we stopped the night before.

Attachments

• IMG_1298 (1).JPG
    IMG_1298 (1).JPG
    502.8 KB · Views: 51
Awesome!
You've got me stoked for next weekend.
Love the details and those are incredible bucks!!
Dan

This has been an awesome season so far with my sons 1st Bull, what may be my best Muley and to top it off two of my best buds made the 1000 mile trip to hunt with us ( Thanks Darryl & Tom). During the archery season we spotted a big framed 4 point, so on the eve of the deer opener I took Tom to the same saddle and there he was. Unfortunately two other hunters beat us by 10 minutes, we sat down and watch them blow him out of the country. The opener was a bust. Then BAMB! A deer breaks out of the drainage below us at 175 yds, brush flying everywhere, I said " It's a buck... He's big.....shoot"! Rifles where blazin, I downed him at 300 yards. 6 1/2 hours later we arrived back at camp.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu