4x4 for wister

CuppedUp

Nov 28, 2019
I always try to avoid the Wister mud the best I can and usually find myself hiking in after the rains, but....I’m curious to hear from those who SUCCESSFULLY charge through the Wister mud which 4x4 application is better? Limited slip differential or a rear locker?

the reason being, I’m looking at trucks and they come standard with 4hi/4Lo/4auto, and have an option to get either the limited slip differential OR the electronic rear locker. So out of those two options, which would be more beneficial trying to make it down Davis road shortly after a rain without sliding out or down beach road or any of the others?

And to beat you to the punch I’ll say it first
“4x4 won’t help, it will just get you stuck further”. I’m well aware. I’m just curious for the guys that actually make it, which is best?

I’ve had numerous 4x4’s over the last 40 years. I’ve had all the bells and whistles. Both a rear locker and front and rear limited slip have their advantages and both will get you over terrain that open axles won’t. If I had to choose one I’d go with a locker. I’m sure you are looking at trucks with E lockers (electronic lockers) which are fine. But front and rear LS is also a damn good system. For mud it’s also important to have good mud tires or all terrain’s that are aggressive. You don’t want to run mudders all year. They are noisy, wear poorly and have less traction on hard road surfaces when wet or snowy but are awesome in mud And extreme off road terrain. Put them on just for the season. Or just run good AT’s full time.
Dont know what you are looking at but I am most familiar with Toyota’s. The Tacoma OR (off road) has one of the most sophisticated 4wd systems there is. The off road models have a rear E locker and limited slip. But the most amazing feature is Something called Crawl Control. Crawl control electronically uses both the locker and limited slip to deliver power to the wheel or wheels that have any traction. I’ve had it get me out of mud and up and over terrain other 4x4’s didn’t have a chance. Do a YouTube search for Tacoma crawl control, you’ll be impressed.
Back to your question, go with a locker as number one choice but limited slip will serve you well also.

Last edited:
My vote would be for the locker. I want to decide which wheels are getting power rather than letting a computer decide for me.
I would be equally curious to know which brand and model mud tires guys have successfully used?
I have been eyeing the General Grabber ATX as a compromise between MT's and AT's.
Up from that may be the BFG KM3's and then the Super Swamper Boggers.

Reactions: WaterDog
I think all my trucks have had e locking rear diffs unless I go back decades to my tank of a Blazer with full time 4wd. Can't help with which is better but I can give some driving advice after 30 plus years of butthole puckering drives out there.
Go SLOW and keep the truck going straight, your steering wheel will be at 90 degrees a lot. Most people that get stuck to the point of needing an expensive recovery were going too fast and couldn't recover or stop momentum.
Don't worry too much about tread type unless you like the look or use 4WD on other types of terrain also. It's really clay and 20mm tread depth on M/T tires are the same as A/T or H/T tires after a few revolutions. The tread doesn't clear no matter the design.
Carry your own tow strap and throw a shovel in the bed. I've also sacrificed some really big bundles of cut arrow weed blind material to get trucks out. It helps when packed under drive wheels.
Use your knowledge of the area when it comes to which roads to avoid if possible. As you probably know you can use any parking lot and a longer walk with muddy clown shoes weighing you down still beats the closer lot if it means more anxiety and possibility of ending up in a canal.

My vote would be for the locker. I want to decide which wheels are getting power rather than letting a computer decide for me.
I would be equally curious to know which brand and model mud tires guys have successfully used?
I have been eyeing the General Grabber ATX as a compromise between MT's and AT's.
Up from that may be the BFG KM3's and then the Super Swamper Boggers.
With the Toyota you decide if you want it locked , not the computer. If the 4x4 and locker isn’t enough then you can use crawl control which uses locker and limited slip and Apples varying power to each wheel in a way you cannot, is kind of the ultimate 4wd. But bottom line get a truck with a locker.

That thing won't work. I'll be running a shuttle service with the salad shooter this year. Think of it as uber for wister. I can also do ammo runs for them rough days when 25 is not enough.
20200223_070318.jpg

I know enough to get stuck, but some how I never have.
have zero experience with lockers, al ways used limited slip.
to me prevent getting stuck, is I just don't do it, stay out of deep mud.
I have pulled out more expensive rigs than I can mention here.
My opinion only light weight 4x4 vehicles, like a dune buggie can traverse
the sands because power to weight ratio, and it's design for the dunes.
light weight, powerful motor and the correct wheels for the sand.
yet most are two wheel drive.

my old jeep and Toyota 4x4 never got stuck because it was light weight
and geared for most situations. and light weight, did not sink in the mud as easy.
and an old trick dad taught me before traction control.
brake lightly and gas lightly simultaneously. don't gas it to much or brake to hard.
but keep the moment going forward, don't even stop because your done.
there has been time when I went up a mountain, clear as day , then rained on the way down,
very hairy and nerve racking and dangerous, especially going on the edge of clifts
with wet clay soil, slippery slope boys. f__N that.

My deceist father in law had an old studabaker truck, two wheel drive , had a mod with 6 in lift
but the center of gravity was on center, it was called the tarantula, because it could go over rocks, in sand
just about any where and not get stuck. one of kind.

I currently have a 2wd truck and after the rain I always try to drive down Davis to scout which roads are passable. I’ve had several scary moments of losing traction going south by the Us and Ts but have yet to slide into the thick. I’m sure the standard 4X4 would make that drive down Davis 100X better. But once things dry out after a rain, there’s always patches of mud on several roads that could be anywhere between 10-30 yards long. Example is beach road at Davis...after the rain, that spot is pretty thick for maybe 40-50 yards then clears up. Same with beach road and the 111. It gets thick then clears up. These are the types of conditions I am referring to where i turn down the road and half way to the parking lot I come across a 20 yard stretch of slick mud.

I drive our 2WD 4Runner to the IV for dove trips to save fuel. I get nervous just exploring on roads that turn to soft sand. Haven't had to let air out of the tires yet but I try to remember to bring the inflater anyway.

Forget wister after it rains. The dikes are unwalkable, mud stuck on boots make them weigh a ton. The roads are brutal. Unless you have experienced them, its hard to explain. Its as slippery as ice at times. I have pushed vehicles sideways by myself. Then you get the pleasure of the wister mud bombs dropping out of your undercarriage at random times years later. You cannot wash it all out and it rusts really bad. Nope, never again in the rain.

I have hunted wister for 33 seasons and only experienced rain in the past maybe 10 years. I do not remember rain the first 20 years I hunted there. Its all out of the south now that nails them with rain. The northern storms rarely push in.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Forget wister after it rains. The dikes are unwalkable, mud stuck on boots make them weigh a ton. The roads are brutal. Unless you have experienced them, its hard to explain. Its as slippery as ice at times. I have pushed vehicles sideways by myself. Then you get the pleasure of the wister mud bombs dropping out of your undercarriage at random times years later. You cannot wash it all out and it rusts really bad. Nope, never again in the rain.

I have hunted wister for 33 seasons and only experienced rain in the past maybe 10 years. I do not remember rain the first 20 years I hunted there. Its all out of the south now that nails them with rain. The northern storms rarely push in.

I agree, Jon....Just looked at pictures from since the 70's....Couldn't find a mud picture....The last 10 years, lots of them....The weather pattern has definitely changed.

.Honker Hunt 12-8-11 008.JPG

Reactions: chessie
I’ve never been to Wister but from what I read here it sounds like when it rains it’s a nasty place. It sounds like it is some thick sloppy gumbo. My truck is 4x4 with a rear locker , front and rear limited slip and moderately aggressive a/t tires and I wouldn’t attempt that crap. I’ve buried my truck in mud before up to the doors. Not fun getting out of that $h*t. Only time I venture into mud anymore is if there is another 4x4 with me and one or both of us have winches. I’ll go down muddy roads that I’m familiar with and I know the mud isn’t very deep and through short stretches of mud but that’s it. One place I duck hunt the mud is real sticky. I drive my truck as far as I feel comfortable and then walk the rest of the way. The mud so bad there that I accumulate up to 6 inches of it on the bottoms of my boots. I kick it off and a few steps later it’s back. It’s slippery too, more than a few times I’ve done face plants in it. I found a walking/hiking staff really helps to keep my balance when walking on it. So I say if you can avoid driving in nasty mud do so. If you feel the need to drive into gumbo mud have a partner with 4x4 with You.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Walking poles are huge plus walking on the slip & slide dikes at Wister...They're great in the ponds with their special kind of mud too.

ps...I use old ski poles (red so I don't forget them)...lol...Cost a few bucks on Good Willy.

.019.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu