6.5 Brass

@Lungpopper @NBK

Here is a video of a bull I shot with a 6.5PRC 124 Hammer Hunter @3400. This was taken about 1200 yards below, I was 200 yards to the right of the bull. As you can see it had plenty of power do dump him. He went legs up even as he crashed down. However...... I took my eyes off of him after a couple seconds trying to get my buddy right next to me a bull also. This bull got up and took off during that time. Searched hard for him, receruting everyone I could but never turned him up. At the end of the day I made a poor shot (too forward I think) and didn't stay on him (huge mistake). I have a bit of OCD keeping crosshairs on "dead" animals now.

When my bull fell over last fall, I kept cross hairs on him for 5 minutes before I finally walked over to help my buddy take care of his that he spined.

Not so much. Part of the problem with lighter bullets is the lack of penetration in dense animals. It might work and it might not, which is my point. And again, most people expect more from the 6.5 than it can consistantly deliver. And some folks will find success and then expect that is repeatable on a regular basis. If you have a conversation with 10 elk guides, you will definitely find your answer.

I’d agree with that for sure.

I’d also imagine most people over state their capability’s as well. The guides I know will take a well placed shot then A howitzer rnd in the hind quarter.

Reactions: 180ls1
"up the old dirt road" to be clear here.

Jake, The 300 Win mag is a killer for sure. The best evidence you stated about the 300 Win mag was poorly placed shots. Poorly placed shots with a .375 H&H would have yielded the same result. As has been stated over and over on this forum you gotta put whatever you are shooting at in the boiler room period no matter the bullet diameter or velocity and it needs to go the distance and hit the vitals.

I think it's easy to forget how big elk are also. A 700lb bull is literally 5x the size of a 140lb deer/pig. Put another way, your 6.5/270 (2,500ftlbs) on that deer/pig is the same as a 50BMG (12,500ftlbs) on a bull....

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu