6.5 PRC. Does anyone run one?

I can confirm... dragonslayer has killed stuff...lots of stuff..those were the days buddy!! Glad I got to just stand there and do nothing!! Dude can shoot ..that's a fact! Give me a shout TC and let me know what's happening these days!

Reactions: 180ls1
The guy at hammer, who I guess is one of the founders mentioned reloader 26 and 560?, not sure. Thanks for the advice. I hope to give it hell! I have 2 local tags one one elk tag in CO this year. Have you killed stuff with yours?

I run RL26 in mine, but I have a few lb of N560 that I think we should try out.

Reactions: 180ls1 and TRICER
No doubt. This forum is full of great people.

It's alarming how poorly fellow hunters treat one another in other groups. Its almost like we dont need anti-gunners because we're so quick to eat ourselves.
Truth

Not far from the truth!! She counting the days until I leave next week...them A zone bucks are gonna take a beating!! I'm thinking of adding homemade Chile to the service provided. Still looking for a flat hat though so I can look cool in harvest photos staring at the trophy's.

Reactions: TRICER
Not far from the truth!! She counting the days until I leave next week...them A zone bucks are gonna take a beating!! I'm thinking of adding homemade Chile to the service provided. Still looking for a flat hat though so I can look cool in harvest photos staring at the trophy's.

Make sure you leave the stickers on when you get it.

I almost built an 6.5 PRC but @NBK talked me into a 6.5 SAUM instead. Both look like excellent rounds. I just got mine put together but have not had time to take it out.

Reactions: NBK
I almost built an 6.5 PRC but @NBK talked me into a 6.5 SAUM instead. Both look like excellent rounds. I just got mine put together but have not had time to take it out.

Both great cartridges. The SAUM is a tad more efficient. With that, it is a tad more difficult to load for due to the recommended neck turn die.

If you keep the velocities around 3000 fps your barrel life will be excellent. And yes both cartridges are capable of pushing 140 grain bullets beyond the 3000 fps mark. Brass and barrel life diminish greatly at the higher velocities.

The Berger 140 Elite Hunter is an amazing bullet for this cartridge. H1000 is for sure the powder of choice for many reasons.

Both great cartridges. The SAUM is a tad more efficient. With that, it is a tad more difficult to load for due to the recommended neck turn die.

If you keep the velocities around 3000 fps your barrel life will be excellent. And yes both cartridges are capable of pushing 140 grain bullets beyond the 3000 fps mark. Brass and barrel life diminish greatly at the higher velocities.

The Berger 140 Elite Hunter is an amazing bullet for this cartridge. H1000 is for sure the powder of choice for many reasons.

PRC is great if you want a factory rifle, would probably go SAUM if building a custom. Now that Lapua and Peterson produce 6.5 PRC, there are tons of brass options out there.

If you can find the 140 EH...there about as hard to find as the 215's. I know have the 156's to load since I ran out of 140's.

140 EH @ FF. Been in stock for 3 months.

Good to know. Honestly haven't even shot my rifle or reloaded the last 4 months. Life got a little crazy there for a bit.

Interesting. Since I don't reload (yet) I wanted to stick to factory stuff.

I did see they are releasing a 7 PRC which looks really cool. I probably would have grabbed that but it seems like it's a few years from mass adoption and I am pretty confident the 6.5 will get the job done.

It amazes me that Remington doesn't revisit the 7 SAUM.

At the end of the day through, pound for pound the 7mm Rem Mag is the biggest bang for the buck in 7mm's.

It amazes me that Remington doesn't revisit the 7 SAUM.

At the end of the day through, pound for pound the 7mm Rem Mag is the biggest bang for the buck.
The 280AI is an easier feeding Round than the saum and you can get more in the mag. I am glad I went that route over the saum.

7mm RM is a very hard round to beat.

Reactions: JakeSCH and NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu