60's 760 Gamemaster scope / mount / rings suggestion

jawshbawx

Jul 19, 2015
So I inherited this early 60's Win. 760 from my grandfather a few years ago. It shoots true until the barrel is hot, which I hear is common. Looking to add some range to it and use it for deer and hog hunts. Anyone have a suggestion for a solid mount / ring / scope set up that won't break the bank? I know everyone will say that you get the glass you pay for, but someone has to have some decent suggestions that won't run me the price of another premium rifle. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Nicholas909 said:
Redfield makes nicer scopes for a decent price.
I've heard some of theirs and Leopold are pretty decent. Just want to make sure the scope and ring hold up to that mule kick, the 760 throws back :)

Go old school. 4x whatever (Redfield , Bushnell, leupold bla bla bla ) with see through mounts, if the scope fails (little to no chance these days) It'll still be cool and get 'er done. plenty of scope /ring combos to choose from. Check in with Fine Firearms in La Mesa they always have something going on glass wise.

30-06. And of course I have a ton of it and can't use it in the field since kommifornia went lead free :)

jawshbawx said:
30-06. And of course I have a ton of it and can't use it in the field since kommifornia went lead free :)

You can still use it this year.

ilovesprig said:
jawshbawx said:

You can still use it for target practice.

Nicholas909 said:
ilovesprig said:
jawshbawx said:

Yes you can, but trust me.................Not for long.............. :mad:

ilovesprig said:
Nicholas909 said:
ilovesprig said:
jawshbawx said:

Yes you can, but trust me.................Not for long.............. :mad:

This might be a little childish but :p if that changes also

ilovesprig said:
Oh, it's gonna change...........And we'll all be a little childish I'm sure.......... ;)
Yeah I'm definitely in a state of "I don't wanna, you can't make me." Good to know the years have seasoned my maturity :)

jawshbawx said:
So I inherited this early 60's Win. 760 from my grandfather a few years ago. It shoots true until the barrel is hot, which I hear is common. Looking to add some range to it and use it for deer and hog hunts.
The 760 is a great rifle. My brother still uses the (.30-06) my dad bought in the 60's, and my other brother has one too. Elk, white tail, pig, black bear... Puts 'em all down. How is the fore end? Loose or still pretty tight?

Bonejour said:
jawshbawx said:
So I inherited this early 60's Win. 760 from my grandfather a few years ago. It shoots true until the barrel is hot, which I hear is common. Looking to add some range to it and use it for deer and hog hunts.
The 760 is a great rifle. My brother still uses the (.30-06) my dad bought in the 60's, and my other brother has one too. Elk, white tail, pig, black bear... Puts 'em all down. How is the fore end? Loose or still pretty tight?

It's got some play to it. Thinking about either making a new one or purchasing a new piece for it. Doesn't seem to effect my bench accuracy, I just hate that little rattle it gives off.

jawshbawx said:
Bonejour said:
jawshbawx said:

It's got some play to it. Thinking about either making a new one or purchasing a new piece for it. Doesn't seem to effect my bench accuracy, I just hate that little rattle it gives off.

Yeah it's noisy but for follow up shots the cycling of a pump is hard to beat. As long as there isn't enough play for it to contact the barrel, it shouldn't affect accuracy.

So I ended up getting a great deal on a Redfield revolution 4-12x40. Probably keep it at 4, use the higher power at the range for long distance shots. Got some weaver rings that mount right onto the rifle. I'll start taking it to the range here soon :). Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Bonejour said:
jawshbawx said:
Bonejour said:
jawshbawx said:

Yeah it's noisy but for follow up shots the cycling of a pump is hard to beat. As long as there isn't enough play for it to contact the barrel, it shouldn't affect accuracy.
Just created another post in general discussion about this. It does make contact w the barrel and makes a LOT of noise.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu