7mm STW

Drewski2324

Sep 26, 2013
Ventura County by way of Idaho
I have an opportunity to purchase a Remington 700 in 7mm STW. Guy wants about $750 for the rifle only. Best I can find is that Remington made these for about a year? The online stats look pretty darn good. Its a burner for sure. Here is a snipet of what I found:

The ballistic performances based off five grain types for the 7mm STW on a 26 inch test barrel for muzzle velocity are 3,384 ft/s (120 gr), 3,268 ft/s (140 gr), 3,233 ft/s (150 gr), 3,177 ft/s (160 gr), and 3,047 ft/s (175 gr). The 7mm STW was first cartridge named for a gun magazine (Shooting Times Magazine) and Layne Simpson was the editor of STM at the time 1979.

Any info on the cartridge, rifle or price of rifle would be greatly appreciated.

Got a little more info on the gun. Roughly 200 rounds through the gun per the owner. It has some scratches and dings but overall pretty clean. It has a muzzle break and scroll work on the side of the action. He is not sure of the model but it does have a detachable magazine.
As far as accuracy is concerned no clue. He states he has not shot the gun in about 5 years and claims the gun was made in this caliber for only 1 year.

It’s called the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner designed by gunwriter Layne Simpson. It outperforms the 7mm Mag but my understanding is that it is very overbored and will burn out barrels pretty quickly. Google 7mm STW “barrel life” before you decide and hopefully there are only 200 rounds through it. You’ll likely have to reload for it especially after Jan 1st because you won’t be able to get ammo for it online.

I'd pass on it......Too many good makes and calibers out there......The copper thing will be a game changer for many calibers and guns......2 cents

I'd pass on it......Too many good makes and calibers out there......The copper thing will be a game changer for many calibers and guns......2 cents

Yes - a game changer indeed. Scared folks will now be able to rest their weary heads knowing how good copper projectiles really are.

The STW is a powerhouse for sure. But as mentioned above, extreme overbore. This lends itself to being finicky regarding accuracy. Just some food for thought. Oh, and IMHO the STW will not do anything more than the 7 Rem Mag.

I got it for $450 today! With a dies and roughly 50 rounds complete and 100 casings plus powder and bullets. At a minimum I have a long action 700 to build another rifle on top of.

Boom perfect! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu