9.6 Dove Skunk

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Me and Andrew met up early this morning to get our first chance at some dove this season. Way to hot for the IV. We had some missed opportunities, as soon a you let your guard down one would go flying past. We tried changing the decoys up to see if it made a difference but once the heat set in there was nothing moving around. They do like hitting the dead trees first when coming in. We saw quite a few flying out of range but would not come in. Gotta start somewhere, Did get a Turkey gobbling back at my calls.

Steve your right about those wind decoys, we had wind and it still didn’t move, it is now just an overpriced wingless clip on.

I am going to try and give it another shot next Saturday before it closes, hopefully this heat wave will be over.

19A367F4-4A01-4113-8FC3-DC7B4813BC93.jpeg

0A5569AD-3E75-45A2-B704-580DEB9527CA.jpeg

Me and Andrew met up early this morning to get our first chance at some dove this season. Way to hot for the IV. We had some missed opportunities, as soon a you let your guard down one would go flying past. We tried changing the decoys up to see if it made a difference but once the heat set in there was nothing moving around. They do like hitting the dead trees first when coming in. We saw quite a few flying out of range but would not come in. Gotta start somewhere, Did get a Turkey gobbling back at my calls.

Steve your right about those wind decoys, we had wind and it still didn’t move, it is now just an overpriced wingless clip on.

I am going to try and give it another shot next Saturday before it closes, hopefully this heat wave will be over.

View attachment 45831

View attachment 45832

Jeremy,

I've learned by trial & error....Very expensive, I might add.... :joy:

Reactions: TrapLine
Being as how you mentioned Dove Skunk!, today my truck was stinking more than usual (i haven't really driven it lately). I started investigating thinking I might find the remains of a Whopper that I bought in Quartzite on monday. I soon found a hunting vest on the floor with two doves in it.... I remember taking the vest off after I shot my first 2 birds and forgot about them. luckily it was a cheap vest, it went in the trash can. Feel bad for the birds...

Being as how you mentioned Dove Skunk!, today my truck was stinking more than usual (i haven't really driven it lately). I started investigating thinking I might find the remains of a Whopper that I bought in Quartzite on monday. I soon found a hunting vest on the floor with two doves in it.... I remember taking the vest off after I shot my first 2 birds and forgot about them. luckily it was a cheap vest, it went in the trash can. Feel bad for the birds...

lol, reminds me of when I left my squid from fishing in my wife’s car one time.

Reactions: Smokey58

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu