A day of firsts

Sep 26, 2012
I don't have any photos (yet), but Saturday was a day of firsts:

First time in my life that I've ever hunted dove, pheasant, deer, and turkey all in the same day.

Maybe the first time I've ever shot a limit of dove (I know, that's pathetic for a growed man, but I haven't truly tried all that hard, and my shooting in the past was atrocious- getting better though!).

First time I've ever been invited by a complete stranger to hunt private, posted lots (with permission).

First time I've ever been able to put my dog on a wild pheasant- he got his first flush: a hen!

First time I've ever taken a shot at a wild pheasant (shot plenty of farm-raised while training the dog, but it's not anywhere close to the real thing).

First time I've ever shot a wild pheasant. It went down, but ran into a bare dirt field- and disappeared! So, first time I've ever lost my first wild pheasant.

My dog got to hunt down his first wild pheasant, which had been shot by another member of our party.

Some repeats:

Everybody LOVED my dog (sniff...they grow up so fast...I'm so proud :'( )

Didn't see a single deer in the evening.

Set up in the wrong spot, so I missed seeing the turkeys by about 100 yards- again!

I had a blast, and my dog was worn out, and it was nice to just sit on a hillside that evening and see him watching the gray squirrel in the tree, smelling something (likely the turkeys) on the wind, and lay there quietly like a good boy.

Bonus material: one field we wanted to hunt for pheasants (I think it was a "dirty" Bermuda field, with a shoot of sudan here and there that hadn't been mowed in a while), which was posted, was ruined for the day by a group of hunters who got there before us, and were hunting it without permission. Stinkin' trespassers :mad: I got word that my group went back the next day (I couldn't be there), and they got limits out of that field.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu