A little new to bow hunting.

raiderx7979

Aug 17, 2014
I've been shooting a bow for over ten years and tried hunting a few times but the. Had kids and the hunting got out aside my sone is now in school so I've hooked up with a buddy from work and we are heading out every day off till we fill out our deer tags. So with that said. I know once you get one out the deer tag on the antler. By buddy want to do pretty much all the cleaning out deboning on the spot. So are we allowed to do that? Or do we have to have the body intact? Can we take the guts out? Any pointers welcomed.

Yes, you can "gut" it on the spot. Most of the time the gut pile wont be there the next morning, coyotes will take care of it.
Here is a link to check out, might help.

Welcome to SCH

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,4713.0.html

Laws vary a bit by state on how much you must take and where the tag goes, You didn't actually say CA. It is best to read the regulations, but yes. you can debone and really cut the pack weight down.

EF said:
Laws vary a bit by state on how much you must take and where the tag goes, You didn't actually say CA. It is best to read the regulations, but yes. you can debone and really cut the pack weight down.

Yeah sorry in California central foothills. So it is ok to debone and what not? When reading all the stuff online it does not say it clearly at all. It does say we have to get a Counter signature by one if the many agencies listed to verify the kill. Then I have to send the tag back to them.

You can debone and pack out......Leave head & hide attached with tag on antler. Fill out IMMEDIATELY and punch holes or cut.........Your deer tag can be counter signed by most LE, CHP, DFW, FS employees, fireman (I think captain or above), and number of other people including licensed butchers.....Per the law, it is to be done at the nearest location of compliance. This is something you should check before going out.

Read the regs and ask questions......They can be very confusing to say the least....... ;)

Good luck

ilovesprig said:
You can debone and pack out......Leave head & hide attached with tag on antler. Fill out IMMEDIATELY and punch holes or cut.........Your deer tag can be counter signed by most LE, CHP, DFW, FS employees, fireman (I think captain or above), and number of other people including licensed butchers.....Per the law, it is to be done at the nearest location of compliance. This is something you should check before going out.

Read the regs and ask questions......They can be very confusing to say the least....... ;)

Good luck

Thanks where we go we have a few places to get countER sign. It's always loaded with FS people and DFW

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu