A22 2019

drat

May 25, 2019
Hello everyone, new to Sch but have been hunting off and on for 20 years. Work has always kept me from being able to spend any real time on the trail so with only a handful of Saturday's per season I haven't been very successful. Fixed that with a new job so now I'm pumped to put in some time. I hunted polamar with a A22 tag back in 2014 just on opening day of the first opener from tree stand and it was pretty crowded ,didn't see anything and no surprise.

Thinking of getting the a22 tag again so I can hunt the late season. Hoping its be a little less crowded. Question is, is there anyone that spots n stalks or is tree stand the tried and true for sd county.

drat....Welcome to SCH

An A-22 tag is tough no matter where or how you hunt them...Palomar is as good as anywhere on public land...I know a number of guys that have been successful there...They also use pop-up blinds...Scouting is always the key to success.

Getting permission on private increases your odds 10 fold....2 cents

drat....Welcome to SCH

An A-22 tag is tough no matter where or how you hunt them...Palomar is as good as anywhere on public land...I know a number of guys that have been successful there...They also use pop-up blinds...Scouting is always the key to success.

Getting permission on private increases your odds 10 fold....2 cents

Thank you

I saw a herd of deer the other day feeding in the zone, they kept their distance, 150-200 yards and spread out a little while I was walking up on the trail in the open but didn't break and run away, just kept an eye on me. Of course later in the season after being shot at for a few weeks they may be more skiddish.

Terrain and deer density/trail use play a part. Palomar has a lot of deer but areas with more glassing opportunity are better spot and stalk options.

I would do both depending on the terrain and deer movement. Set up a stand on a pinch point or a trail in heavy cover if you find good deer movement through the area, but if that fails have a Plan B to where you can get up high and glass for a spot-n-stalk in open country. I like having options when things don't work out for me.

Great stuff. Thank you everyone. Hope to get out soon and set a camera.

I love polamar mountain....you are most definitely in the right place for A22..and D16 questions and most likely will recieve extremely detailed answers to any and all questions you may have regarding this highly saught after deer zone..welcome!

I love polamar mountain....you are most definitely in the right place for A22..and D16 questions and most likely will recieve extremely detailed answers to any and all questions you may have regarding this highly saught after deer zone..welcome!

Thank you, I'm very excited this year. This will be my sons first year hunting. Hes been practicing with the bow for the last 4 years , so it'll be amazing to get him on something. He watched me take my first archery buck , my turn to see him.

Thank you, I'm very excited this year. This will be my sons first year hunting. Hes been practicing with the bow for the last 4 years , so it'll be amazing to get him on something. He watched me take my first archery buck , my turn to see him.
For sure. Good luck man.
Palomar good hunting grounds.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu