Advanced Hunting Clinic (Land Nav)

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
Just took another "Advanced Hunting Clinic" class offered by CDFW, this one was a 2-day Land Navigation course. Our first day was all classroom instruction, our instructor made the point that you shouldn't rely on your GPS in the backcountry, so we spent half the day learning how to read a map and the other half on compass basics. There was plenty of talk about hunting aspects as he covered what kind of topographic features to look for when scouting. We got a lot of practice plotting coordinates on a UTM map from caltopo.com, which we would be using extensively during the 2nd day.

The second day we met out on public land and practiced using our map and compass to navigate to flags he set in various spots in the woods. After a half day of practice as a group, we went out solo to plot our assigned markers and navigate to them. It was pretty challenging but this was definitely the fun day.

So we all got our certificates and were told CDFW will invite us to intermediate, advanced, and night land nav courses in the future. I thought it was a steal at $50 -- looks like REI offers shorter navigation courses for $100+ and I don't think they'll talk about harvesting game in their classes :)

land nav.jpeg

Zac, you seem to be in the right track , I know that you have taken a couple of training classes. Next time you learn of one post it here. Me and a few more of us would probably jump and attend.

Reactions: Littlmama and Zak
Just took another "Advanced Hunting Clinic" class offered by CDFW, this one was a 2-day Land Navigation course. Our first day was all classroom instruction, our instructor made the point that you shouldn't rely on your GPS in the backcountry, so we spent half the day learning how to read a map and the other half on compass basics. There was plenty of talk about hunting aspects as he covered what kind of topographic features to look for when scouting. We got a lot of practice plotting coordinates on a UTM map from caltopo.com, which we would be using extensively during the 2nd day.

The second day we met out on public land and practiced using our map and compass to navigate to flags he set in various spots in the woods. After a half day of practice as a group, we went out solo to plot our assigned markers and navigate to them. It was pretty challenging but this was definitely the fun day.

So we all got our certificates and were told CDFW will invite us to intermediate, advanced, and night land nav courses in the future. I thought it was a steal at $50 -- looks like REI offers shorter navigation courses for $100+ and I don't think they'll talk about harvesting game in their classes :)

View attachment 43241
all the newbies and old guys need more of this , even if it's a refresher. love compass & maps, it has it's points.
I am an advocate this. old school my friends, but use both GPS has it's advantages too.

Reactions: Bluesky0727 and Zak
Zac, you seem to be in the right track , I know that you have taken a couple of training classes. Next time you learn of one post it here. Me and a few more of us would probably jump and attend.
Fabian, you can find the clinics offered by CDFW here: https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunter-Education/advanced

They're spread out over the state, but I think I'd consider the classes that are less than a 4hr drive. In fact, none of the students at Land Nav were from the area (Hemet, CA). I know one guy drove 400 miles to be there, so I guess he beats me for determination.

New classes are added once in a while, but I'm interested in the Wilderness First Aid and Waterfowl Hunting classes. You might need to waitlist for some classes, but I actually got in from the waitlist.

Wish I could attend a Deer Hunting course.. not sure I can justify a 6-7hr drive.

Fabian, you can find the clinics offered by CDFW here: https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunter-Education/advanced

They're spread out over the state, but I think I'd consider the classes that are less than a 4hr drive. In fact, none of the students at Land Nav were from the area (Hemet, CA). I know one guy drove 400 miles to be there, so I guess he beats me for determination.

New classes are added once in a while, but I'm interested in the Wilderness First Aid and Waterfowl Hunting classes. You might need to waitlist for some classes, but I actually got in from the waitlist.

Wish I could attend a Deer Hunting course.. not sure I can justify a 6-7hr drive.
Thank you Zac, I see the class for Wilderness First Aid class is in Compton. That we could do. We may need Kevlar helmets and vests to go there... :laughing:

What gear was required? Did they provide the maps and compass? Was it a lensatic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Zac, I see the class for Wilderness First Aid class is in Compton. That we could do. We may need Kevlar helmets and vests to go there... :laughing:

Yep, I'll be straight in and straight outta Compton, not hanging around!

What gear was required? Did they provide the maps and compass? Was it a lensatic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They let us borrow Suuntu MC-2 compasses and maps. We were given a copy of the book the class was based on here

I will follow your voice mail with an email.

I also contacted Alan Gregory last year about getting some local classes. He was very receptive and encouraged others to make similar requests so the department knows there is interest down here is SoCal.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu