Adventure Pass deal.

ratz

Feb 17, 2011
I have heard that if you buy 1 annual adventure pass, it is $30.
if you buy a "second vehicle pbut" it is an additional $5.
So why not have you and I buy both these pbutes, and only spend $35, instead of $60?

here is the page:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/pbut-options.shtml

My hunting partners and I have purchased ours that way ever since the program started..

Is there any way they can tell that it is the second vehicle? or is it not that discriptive?
Lastely, I am ready to buy one today, does anyone want to go in halves?

If you know someone that already has the full year you just need to show them the pass and have it punched to get the second for 5.00.

Guys if you read the fine print even on the ticket you get it are just voluntary. You don’t have to pay for those damn things.

Maybe not, but you will get slaped with a ticket if you don't. I don't know of anyone beating the ticket in court..

I've never bought one of these and never will! I chance it and if you get a ticket you just simply post someone else's pass number or pay the $5, either way it's worth the gamble and I believe I already pay state taxes

ratz said:
if you buy a "second vehicle pass" it is an additional $5.
So why not have you and I buy both these passes, and only spend $35, instead of $60?

here is the page:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/pass-options.shtml
it works that way buy 2 split the cost I have a senior pass that is for life after the age of 65

Anyone wanna go halfsies on one of these passes? I got a citation for parking the other day without one of them...

When they first came out, you could buy the $5 1-day pass, and a $5 2nd vehicle pass, for a total of $10. It took them a while, but they eventually shut that down.

I honestly do not see a point in them. Everything else is expensive as f@@k and it doesn't seem like they put the money into the facilities of places that I have been.

The courts have ruled on this. I haven't heard of a local case going to court but based on this decision, I'd be willing to fight it. I am apposed to these fees anyway. The feds clearly can't manage the money they take out of our paychecks as it is. I'm not going to contribute to it any more than I absolutely have to.

http://corbamtb.com/news/2012/02/15/9th-district-court-rules-against-the-forest-adventure-pass/

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2012/02/09/10-16711.pdf

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_23142443/four-hikers-challenge-forest-adventure-pass (Probably the easiest to understand)

Its like gambling. If you end up getting a ticket, you're still going to be dealing with it in court and will need to present all this.....Either way if you are in this situation and decide to fight it, hopefully this is some beef for your case. There are dozens of similar articles on the web.

Breacher said:
The courts have ruled on this. I haven't heard of a local case going to court but based on this decision, I'd be willing to fight it. I am apposed to these fees anyway. The feds clearly can't manage the money they take out of our paychecks as it is. I'm not going to contribute to it any more than I absolutely have to.

http://corbamtb.com/news/2012/02/15/9th-district-court-rules-against-the-forest-adventure-pass/

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2012/02/09/10-16711.pdf

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_23142443/four-hikers-challenge-forest-adventure-pass (Probably the easiest to understand)

Its like gambling. If you end up getting a ticket, you're still going to be dealing with it in court and will need to present all this.....Either way if you are in this situation and decide to fight it, hopefully this is some beef for your case. There are dozens of similar articles on the web.

Thats just the thing is that I did get a ticket for it. This is interesting information based on the "services" being used.... That is where I think you would lose the case....

Definitely interesting.

I'm not at all surprised to learn that a Federal agency is ignoring a high court's instructions, or Congress' mandates. Homeland Security/Border Patrol was told by the Supreme Court that they could continue to run their interior checkpoints, provided that they don't detain people (the legal-ese term for this is "seizure") for more than a very brief time, and for the purpose of verifying citizenship, UNLESS they have a reasonable suspicion that you are NOT a citizen. As odious as this is to the constitution which protects us from "unlawful search and seizure", HSA/ICE continues to stop vehicles, and run their dogs around them. Are these dogs able to distinguish between US Citizens and non-citizens? I think not! And I'm really tired of the "what's your citizenship? where are you coming from? what were you doing out there? what were you hunting? what kind of gun were you hunting with? 12 gauge? Is that your dog in the back" 20 questions game they pop on me from time to time. Yes, that's a real example. And I'm done complying with these guys who overstep the limits placed on them by our laws, courts, government, and constitution. When they are acting within their authority, it will be "yes sir no sir right away sir", but when they overreach, it will be "I'm sorry sir, but I don't answer questions".

And since Congress has UNambiguously declared that the Forest Service is not to charge for the use of the forest except in certain circumstances, and the court has upheld this, then my take on it is that they can set up a toll booth or iron ranger and charge people entering areas that qualify, but can't just require a "forest adventure pass" for everybody who wants to park next to the side of the road. Therefore, now that I know this, I think I might just skip buying them until Congress changes the law.

I just looked up the Recreation Enhancement Act cited by the 9th circuit ruling. Here is some interesting text, seems pretty unambiguous...

From Sec 803
d)Limitations on Recreation Fees-
(1) PROHIBITION ON FEES FOR CERTAIN ACTIVITIES OR SERVICES- The Secretary shall not charge any standard amenity recreation fee or expanded amenity recreation fee for Federal recreational lands and waters administered by the Bureau of Land Management, the Forest Service, or the Bureau of Reclamation under this Act for any of the following:
(A) Solely for parking, undesignated parking, or picnicking along roads or trailsides.
(B) For general access unless specifically authorized under this section.
(C) For dispersed areas with low or no investment unless specifically authorized under this section.
(D) For persons who are driving through, walking through, boating through, horseback riding through, or hiking through Federal recreational lands and waters without using the facilities and services.
(E) For camping at undeveloped sites that do not provide a minimum number of facilities and services as described in subsection (g)(2)(A).
(F) For use of overlooks or scenic pullouts.
(G) For travel by private, noncommercial vehicle over any national parkway or any road or highway established as a part of the Federal-aid System, as defined in section 101 of title 23, United States Code, which is commonly used by the public as a means of travel between two places either or both of which are outside any unit or area at which recreation fees are charged under this Act.
(H) For travel by private, no commercial vehicle, boat, or aircraft over any road or highway, waterway, or airway to any land in which such person has any property right if such land is within any unit
or area at which recreation fees are charged under this Act.
(I) For any person who has a right of access for hunting or fishing privileges under a specific provision of law or treaty.
(J) For any person who is engaged in the conduct of official Federal, State, Tribal, or local government business.
(K) For special attention or extra services necessary to meet the needs of the disabled.

sherpa said:
ratz said:
if you buy a "second vehicle pass" it is an additional $5.
So why not have you and I buy both these passes, and only spend $35, instead of $60?

here is the page:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/pass-options.shtml
it works that way buy 2 split the cost I have a senior pass that is for life after the age of 65
Hey Sherpa,Ill give you 5 bucks and you get me a life time second vehichle pass. ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu