again skinny kid gets his first deer

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
we head out early in the morning, there are three of us as a group, My bro in law heads into the woods, to the left of us, My Grama Evie & I keep going straight on a dirt trail,
I am following behind her, I am newbie deer hunter, with a few years shooting and hunting small game, and upland game. but not deer hunting.
I had all hand me down equipment. 308 Mossberg, cost $100 at Woolworths over the counter, installed a peep sight.
any way I here a ruckus behind me, and a forky horn and I are face to face, staring at each other, could not shoot because it was in the same direction as my bro in law.
it started to jump away I took a running shot , hit it in the neck, scared the crap out of granny, and my bro in law came running out.
I walked over to where I shot an pointed the spot, but no deer, I was walking in circles looking but no deer,
Granny pointed out is that it over there , when I hit it jumped about 20-30 FT, it was stone dead on a stump. the rest is history.
I was green as can be, first deer, I had to gut it and skin it,
11856476_10204947392872845_4026936965921376587_o.jpg

Last edited:
But here I was smiling, cleaning camp detail. LOL
View attachment 44182
in this pic, there is my two oldest hunting brothers & partners , my older brother, my ex brother in law , he got cut off a little, but you can see he was smiling.
he was a big fella, he was the ex flat track champion of open class flat track moto racing, he taught me how to ride motorcycles. was a two time Vietnam army vet.
brother was in the Navy, Brother became a big shot with US Navy civilian after his 4 year term, was a civilian G15 in the navy Retired. taking care of helicopter engines,
he made sure the boys in the Afghanistan and Iraq war got their helicopter engines. this pic was in the early 70's . I was a sissy brat. :laughing:

Great Story , great pic that would make a pretty cool indian name running deer running shot !!! Awesome stuff

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu