Alberta 2014

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Well, to say this year had it's ups and downs is an understatement............Never have had so much competition from locals or even guides. Add in a really late harvest, warm weather, and no wind. Your going to have some tough days. Despite the early warm weather, we ended the 2 weeks with 50's & 30 degree weather and it all turned to great hunting. We also drove more miles scouting this year than any previous year.......Wish I was still there........A day by day account of our hunts.

Day 1.........Blanked in a pea field in the morning with one of the locals daughter & boyfriend. They had never hunted out of layout blinds before. So we decided to try the haybale blinds........Never fired a shot. Specks were very weary of the snow + speck spread as well........Found out they had hunted this field the day before.......Ugh!

Day 2.........Found another pea field with honkers...........Layouts this time for just me & my cousin Ron. Birds decoyed beautifully. Only problem was there was absolutely zero wind. So, half the time honks would either land or come in from behind us. The old body just doesn't twist like it used to......lol......We ended up with 6 big guys & 4 specks.

Day 3........Decided to get the dogs some action. Hunted two separate sloughs that were within a 1/2 mile of each other. There were about 3,000 mallards and pintail using them for their daytime roost. We wouldn't hunted them in the dry pea fields, but they weren't coming out to feed till about 20 minutes AFTER shoot time.......80 degree weather......We ended up with 16 ducks and I had 4 honkers come in and I got 2.......Also, got that 1st spoonie of the season.......Worth the price of the trip right there....... :4gi59uu_th:........Leave the south and travel north

Day 4.........Hunted with one of the locals in another pea field........Same problem with these geese (specks).......Just no direction hunting out of layouts. Ronnie & I didn't shoot ducks, but the local got 8 mallards and we also added 6 specks. Would've done much better with willow blinds......Again warm (82) and dead calm.

Day 5........Willow blinds this time and just me & Ron.........The classic parklands hunt. Honkers coming in low & slow.......15 big guys & a speck.......Didn't shoot ducks, but were covered in mallards & pintail......75 degrees

Day 6........Tough finding new spots (and saving some for friends coming up). So, we hunted what we call Wild Rose again........Ronnie decided to hunt the pond near by and I stayed in the willow blind......Good choice for me......8 honkers, 4 mallards, 4 pintail......Ronnie ended up with 8 mallards and 1 honker......The willow blind again was the key in being able to shoot all directions......70 degrees

Day 7.......Haybale field and specks (few snows as well)........Well as hunting specks goes and despite being on the X. They (1000 birds) landed at the other end of the field. Even after a single came in that Ronnie got, they didn't fly away.......Big field of barley.......Afternoon showed they still liked this spot........72 degrees

Day 8......Two friends showed up and we invited them to hunt with us in the same field. This time we set-up at the other end.......24 birds for the effort.......1 single big honker, 7 'lil honks, and 16 specks.......I love haybale shooting........76 degrees

Day 9......Took the day off in anticipation of Ron's son Ronnie coming up and friend Mike.......Scouting is still tough with the hot weather......87 today......Find a big pea field with about 3,000 specks in it. Only problem was something spooked them out as we were driving away (we were about 1/2 mile away)......Always a bad sign.

Day 10.....Hunt the big pea field with specks.......Only a few show up the next day and would have nothing to do with where we were set-up. The boys shot a few ducks (8)......Ronnie, Ron, & Mike hunt a honker field in the afternoon......El Blanko!.....Saw over a 100 birds in the barley in the morning while I was out scouting......Tough start for the new guys......Still no wind and 68.....But could feel the change coming.

Day 11.....Back to another part of Wild Rose/Parkland area......The boys got 12 honkers & 8 ducks in the morning while I scouted......Per the stories, I think the count should've have been much higher on the honky tonks......lol......Finally some weather!.......Rain and wind in the afternoon. So Mike and I hunt a big slough in the afternoon.....Epic duck shoot!......Mallards & pintail diving in against the wind and rain.....Mike's limit included 7 greenheads & a bull sprig.......Only because I couldn't wear my glasses in the rain did I shoot that widgeon.....lol.....High of 59

Day 12.....Mike & I hunt behind my friends farm house and huge barley field with bales......Just not many birds.....We ended the short morning with 2 honkers & 2 ducks......Ronnie & Ron hunted Wild Rose again and ended up with 6 honkers & 8 ducks.....Lil Ron was doing the shooting......Cloudy and cold 39......While scouting I found and got permission to hunt a field very close to where we'd had been all week. It's amazing how 300 honkers can hide in the those rolling hills......The afternoon shooting was classic Canada......We stopped shooting at 20 bigs......Started at 3:30 pm and picked up at 5:00 pm......They were still pouring in when we left. Just didn't want to clean more than that with the boys leaving early the next morning......It's amazing what cold & windy weather does for the flights of waterfowl.

Day 13......Pack up and head home.......One stop at our friends in southern Alberta and exactly 23 hours later. I was in Escondido.......1st thing I did was stop at Jack in the Box......Never ate out one time the entire trip.....I don't think I can eat another duck or goose recipe........lol

Here's a few pix from the adventure.

Attachments

• IMG_8712.JPG
    IMG_8712.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8832.JPG
    IMG_8832.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8815.JPG
    IMG_8815.JPG
    953.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8786.JPG
    IMG_8786.JPG
    701.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8775.JPG
    IMG_8775.JPG
    487.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8763.JPG
    IMG_8763.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8739.JPG
    IMG_8739.JPG
    709 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0209.JPG
    DSCF0209.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8724.JPG
    IMG_8724.JPG
    512.7 KB · Views: 15
A few more pix.............. ;D

Attachments

• IMG_8879.JPG
    IMG_8879.JPG
    653 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8888.JPG
    IMG_8888.JPG
    550.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8741.JPG
    IMG_8741.JPG
    977.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8740.JPG
    IMG_8740.JPG
    603.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0284.JPG
    DSCF0284.JPG
    651.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8874.JPG
    IMG_8874.JPG
    503.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8870.JPG
    IMG_8870.JPG
    473.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8848.JPG
    IMG_8848.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8860.JPG
    IMG_8860.JPG
    744.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8855.JPG
    IMG_8855.JPG
    516 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8852.JPG
    IMG_8852.JPG
    680 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8839.JPG
    IMG_8839.JPG
    703.5 KB · Views: 14
Breacher said:
I've been waiting for this! Looks like a blast Steve! Very cool!

Nick,

Every waterfowler should try to experience Canada at least once in their life........Best decision I ever made back in 2001........Haven't missed a year since.

Great people, beautiful country......... :D

Attachments

• DSCF0238.JPG
    DSCF0238.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0230.JPG
    DSCF0230.JPG
    505.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8783.JPG
    IMG_8783.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8746.JPG
    IMG_8746.JPG
    342.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8751.JPG
    IMG_8751.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8713.JPG
    IMG_8713.JPG
    451.5 KB · Views: 13
Don't know what happened, but only video that came out.......Ugh!

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5dBxnQP2n8

We did get 24 of them the next morning in the same field.

Nicely done Sprig...Couldn't wait for you to get back and post the pics!

Next week is my turn!

All the best John......No place like it for a waterfowler......Love freelancing...... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_8865.JPG
    IMG_8865.JPG
    651.5 KB · Views: 11
This is an outstanding post that should get any hunter excited about waterfowl hunting and the adventures surrounding the sport!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu