Alberta restricts freelance waterfowl hunting

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Well, it finally happened...The outfitters of Alberta have tried for years to restrict freelance waterfowlers...They had already succeeded in big game hunting by getting a law passed saying you could ONLY hunt with a guide or outfitter...The only exception is a Hunter/Host license and not easy to get.

Yesterday, I found out that I can only hunt Alberta for two 7 day periods a year, but if I hunt with a guide/outfitter...I can hunt as many times as I want...The price for hunting with a guide is $125.00 each 7 days...Hunting as a freelance hunter is $175.00 for each 7 days...The 7 days must be consecutive as well.

Also, I can no longer hunt wherever I want...When I get my 7 day license...I must state what 3 Wildlife Management Units, I want to hunt...Alberta is huge and this stops us from hunting the south (prairie region)...Then going north to hunt the Parklands...This is probably the worse part of this regulation change...Scouting and finding birds is half the fun.

Well, it was great while it lasted, but hunting is indeed becoming a rich man's sport.........:pensive:

ps...Saskatchewan is looking better and better....;)

IMG_0256 - Copy (2).JPG

i hate seeing restrictions anywhere. you'd think the guides and outfitters would know that any restriction to hunting hurts hunting as a whole (even if it benefits them in the short term)

Crushin dreams. Disappointed that I missed out on a opportunity. It will probably be as difficult as Mexico before i get there.

Reactions: Ahidog
Crushin dreams. Disappointed that I missed out on a opportunity. It will probably be as difficult as Mexico before i get there.

Mike,

You can still go...Just more expensive...I think Claudio Ongaro gets a $900.00 a day...3 days, 5 hunts...That does not include bird cleaning, tipping, licenses, shells, or airfare............... ;)

i hate seeing restrictions anywhere. you'd think the guides and outfitters would know that any restriction to hunting hurts hunting as a whole (even if it benefits them in the short term)

TJ,

We've been butting heads with outfitters for 23 years...And, some of the incidents got pretty ugly...........:mad:

They don't like us freelancers, but they love our American money...........:rolleyes:

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
Hurts the local economy as well, with less hunters the hotels, restaurants, gas stations and other merchants lose money also from the drop in tourism. Foolish and short sighted legislation that will hurt them more in the long run than it benefits the outfitters.

Reactions: 180ls1
when Mexico started the stupid Uma system and required a guide we all freaked out and stopped hunting. The smart people worked the problem and kept hunting.

What stops you from getting a Canadian their guide lic and dragging them along on the hunts..... Biz as usual nothing to see here

The Mexico DIY numbers never rebounded FYI but the smart guys are still in the fight

when Mexico started the stupid Uma system and required a guide we all freaked out and stopped hunting. The smart people worked the problem and kept hunting.

What stops you from getting a Canadian their guide lic and dragging them along on the hunts..... Biz as usual nothing to see here

The Mexico DIY numbers never rebounded FYI but the smart guys are still in the fight

Billy,

I'm not, not going and we'll figure out a way (roll with the punches)...A few years back they tried a 5 day license, but you could buy as many as you wanted...It failed...This new reg is way more restrictive with only being able to hunt 3 WMU's.

We've already called friends about getting a outfitters license...That's really restrictive as well and very expensive.

Reactions: Aeon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu