Almost too hot to hunt

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
In So Cal and had a job in Palm Springs so I brought guns. Finished up by noon and went south to the IV. Started shooting ECDs around 3 pm, but the 112 temp was just too much for me. Even sitting in a chair in the shade didn’t work out, so I wussed out and headed for an air conditioned fast feeder. Near dusk I went out for cottontails and by then it was a little more bearable. Love sniper-style bunny blasting. Shot 5 and quit, but one somehow lived and made it into its bunny bungalow. Head shots are messy!

Overall Mourning dove volume seemed low, but still three weeks before the opener.

IMG_0872.jpegIMG_0875.jpegIMG_0877.jpegIMG_0881.jpeg

Last Dove opener in the IV was the first time I thought I was going to drop dead from the heat.
After getting our limits I started to pick up the mojos and grab an energy to push thru. My heart rate jumped so high I thought I was having a heart attack..I had to dunk my head in the cooler that by then, was full of ice cold water. Then I had to seat in the car under the AC for 20 minutes.
Those over 100 degrees hunting days are not to be taken lightly.

I can't take the heat any more.
This heat wave is just weird.
I am a light weight now. Last I was hiking with doc at kitchen creek .
Started out cool. But in afternoon got hot. Hiking a 500 ft elevation change. I almost had a heat stroke
Which really sucks, I ran out of water. Old guy thinking young
Got me in trouble.

• Wow
Reactions: ilovesprig
Last Dove opener in the IV was the first time I thought I was going to drop dead from the heat.
After getting our limits I started to pick up the mojos and grab an energy to push thru. My heart rate jumped so high I thought I was having a heart attack..I had to dunk my head in the cooler that by then, was full of ice cold water. Then I had to seat in the car under the AC for 20 minutes.
Sounds just like my experience. I used to be able to handle it better, but then I used to snow ski, water ski, and play tackle football too lol. One thing is for sure, driving in the air conditioned car for two hours and then getting out into 112 doesn’t work for me anymore. Looking forward to starting at first light on the opener, when it will be a chilly 85 or 90 for an hour or two.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I can't take the heat any more.
This heat wave is just weird.
I am a light weight now. Last I was hiking with doc at kitchen creek .
Started out cool. But in afternoon got hot. Hiking a 500 ft elevation change. I almost had a heat stroke
Which really sucks, I ran out of water. Old guy thinking young
Got me in trouble.
Old guy thinking young…. the cause of many problems for sure.

Steve
You're right of course.
But this was a warning. To check out the weather. I purchase a new camel back with twice the water. And now I don't hike drastic elevation change if it's hot. But that applies to me only. Doc was in great shape. He had no problem steaming up the hill.
I don't know how many times I hiked into thick
15- 20 high brush. And it was hell.
I just wanted to get out of it.
Now I am careful which paths I take.

What 112 and you didn't bring a winter coat.. LOL It is not hot here until it hits 119. Nice hunt congrats on the birds and bunnies.

Reactions: WaterDawg
A trick I learned is to put couple frozen water bottles in back of vest. They keep kidneys cool and as they melt have ice water to drink. I am going t0 IV on 31st back second.

Reactions: WaterDawg
That was me last year, i think the older we get were less tolerable of the heat. When i was younger i thrived in the heat. UGH!!! Sucks gettin old. And yea the high blood pressure dont help.

It's going to be a toasty opener for me...
ca5012060f4a23a8cc03e91797458f31.jpg

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

That was me last year, i think the older we get were less tolerable of the heat. When i was younger i thrived in the heat. UGH!!! Sucks gettin old. And yea the high blood pressure dont help.
You bet, being g diabetic makes it worst, then on top of that hypoglycemic because of glucose spike you create to much insulin. Then your brain says hey brother you have no glucose left in system , I going to shut you down. And in the heat can exacerbate that.

It's usually 10 degrees cooler in the shady trees. That's where I would park my ass, with ice chest full of ice water or drinks., I eat protein snacks no more sugary stuff.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu