Am I Wasting My Time?

Definitely not wasting your time. Bunny hunting is fun although this year sucked for some reason. Maybe it's that virus. Anyhow if you want to get out for jacks let me know.. it's what I do in between seasons. They eat great too if braised, chili, pasta sauce, etc. Can't grill or fry em. Makes great sausage too.. made an epic batch of chorizo once. And no, Larry didn't hack my account and write this.
Back where I’m from, the rabbit/hare population was on a very predictable ten year cycle. We’d go from seeing them everywhere to eventually not seeing them at all, then gradually they’d come back, then soon enough they were everywhere again. I’m exited about making sausage. My vision is to combine it with some bear or hog. I am seriously considering building a backyard smoke house for the purpose. I may just take you up on your offer! I’ve been outfitting myself for coyote as well. I’m real close to being ready. Last item on the list is an electronic call rig.

Bruiser, don’t give up on finding rabbits closer than AZ! And cottontails are really good to eat. I’ve gotten limits at San Jacinto wildlife refuge (shotgun only) and on national forest land near you. There are State and BLM lands in San Diego county with cottontails. And the Imperial Valley has lots of them. Population numbers vary year to year based on desease, rainfall etc.. It takes effort, but you’ll find spots close to home. And the Imperial Valley is your friend. Get to know it. Year round water and abundant cottontail, quail and dove. Good luck!

Bruiser, don’t give up on finding rabbits closer than AZ! And cottontails are really good to eat. I’ve gotten limits at San Jacinto wildlife refuge (shotgun only) and on national forest land near you. There are State and BLM lands in San Diego county with cottontails. And the Imperial Valley has lots of them. Population numbers vary year to year based on desease, rainfall etc.. It takes effort, but you’ll find spots close to home. And the Imperial Valley is your friend. Get to know it. Year round water and abundant cottontail, quail and dove. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip! Yeah, IV looks real good. I enjoy shotgun, that was my weapon of choice back in Canada. I’ve given up on the .22 though. Not much in the way of dependable green ammo. I’m looking into getting an air rifle. Hell I could hunt here in Fallbrook with one of those!

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu