Am I Wasting My Time?

Bru,

Welcome to SCH....All the rabbits we have in SoCal are OK to eat...Hunt & eat them all the time...Your best bet to get them is in the Imperial Valley around the desert edges of farm land...While learning the IV, you'll find dove and quail spots as well...If you look around, you can find green ammo...Let your fingers do the walking (phone).

Chukar are another bird that is not that far a drive and as sporting as it gets...Starting at about Stoddard Wells outside of Victorville to the lower Sierra's you can find chukar (& quail)...Randsburg, Black Mts, and Walker Pass area are just 3 areas that can have them and are popular starting points...Steel shotshells are not hard to find.

Turkey hunting is quite popular here in San Diego County as well...Most public hunting is done on the Cleveland NF and BLM...While scouting for turkeys, it is possible to find rabbits, doves, and quail spots...It will take some time and effort, but can be done less than 90 minutes from where you live.

NWTF has monthly meeting the 4th Tuesday of each month at the Hamburger factory in Poway...Starts at 6:30 pm...I really suggest, as a new person to the area, that you attend a meeting or get involved in the organization...A lot of like minded folks that hunt locally and the IV attend.

Good luck......Steve

ps...If you need a ride let me know...There's a few of us that live in north county (Escondido).
Thank you for that, you are a fount of knowledge, a gentleman and a scholar! I’m not adverse to hunting out of the state as others have suggested, but if I can find a few spots within a couple of hours drive, well, that would be much better. I’ll be hitting OnX hard tomorrow checking out your recommendations. As for turkey, it never crossed my mind that they were out here, that’s really intriguing. Poway is not too far. Work makes it a little tricky, but I’m sure I can swing it. Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time!

Reactions: ilovesprig
You're from Canada, eh? I would go with a .22 air rifle for rabbits. They aren't firearms, so you can use all the lead pellets you want.
That’s a terrific suggestion! I know they’ve come a long way since I was a kid, I will look into it. Technically Quebec is in Canada, but we’re a breed all our own!

Reactions: Muledeerhunter
What make and model do you have there, Steve?

Umarex PCP Gauntlet .25 cal....Quietest and best pellet gun I've ever owned, till it started leaking...Will have it fixed before next rabbit season...;)

ps....Just saw on TV the other day that Benjamin (I think) is coming out with a break barrel multi shot rifle...Sounds intriguing.... :blush:

Umarex PCP Gauntlet .25 cal....Quietest and best pellet gun I've ever owned, till it started leaking...Will have it fixed before next rabbit season...;)

ps....Just saw on TV the other day that Benjamin (I think) is coming out with a break barrel multi shot rifle...Sounds intriguing.... :blush:
Steve, what is the effective range of your current pellet gun?

Steve, what is the effective range of your current pellet gun?

John,

The Gauntlet has killed rabbits out to about 40+ (I've only had it for little over a year)....It runs about 800-900 FPS for about 15 shots before having to recharge.

I have a Beeman GS 1000, break-barrel .22, that's killed them at confirmed 63 yds...At that range with pellet guns, it pretty much needs to be a head shot...It runs about 1000 FPS.

Ground squirrels are much tougher and every shot with a pellet gun better be a head shot for recovery.

.rabbits 7-30-12 006.JPG

John,

The Gauntlet has killed rabbits out to about 40+ (I've only had it for little over a year)....It runs about 800-900 FPS for about 15 shots before having to recharge.

I have a Beeman GS 1000, break-barrel .22, that's killed them at confirmed 63 yds...At that range with pellet guns, it pretty much needs to be a head shot...It runs about 1000 FPS.

Ground squirrels are much tougher and every shot with a pellet gun better be a head shot for recovery.

.View attachment 51144
Thanks. I might just look into one of those.

Am I wasting my time : No
Are there any places to hunt rabbit within 90 min of fallbrook: Yes east of Fallbrook San Bernardino NF find open dry areas for Jack's, and vegetation for cotton. Very early in the AM.
Are Jack's edable: Sometimes if their liver is clear.
Are cotton tail edable: Yes.
I was going to try to eat a jack but they look like shit! Full of fleas ticks....not worth it IMO.

Are there any places to hunt rabbit within 90 min of fallbrook: Yes east of Fallbrook San Bernardino NF find open dry areas for Jack's, and vegetation for cotton. Very early in the AM.
I was going to try to eat a jack but they look like shit! Full of fleas ticks....not worth it IMO.

Speaking of ticks on rabbits...This year was the 1st time I had ever seen ticks on rabbits.

.IMG_2324.JPGIMG_2325.JPG

Reactions: longbowhunter2
this part of the country ticks and fleas are a part of life. I carry a plastic trash bag, and a rabbit bag, and carry my rabbits in the bag to keep the fleas off me. I generally wait till I am done hunting before processing rabbits. The last deer I killed years ago was loaded with ticks. I skin it and threw threw skin in salt and killed them all.

Reactions: Bruiser
My break open (22 cal) say about 40 yard max range. with ground squirrels I try to take long shot for the fun of it. just talking about it time to start practicing again

Lee,

Pellet guns are pretty dang cool and fun to shoot...Modern day pellets are getting trick too...I'm shooting polymer tipped and hollow points... :blush:

John,

The tracheotomy was with a .17 HMR.............Copper................;)

Jack’s need to either be cooked slow, pressure cooked or ground up and made into sausage. I’ve cooked them over a campfire and you could barely eat it it was so tough. I lost my favorite recipe for sausage but there’s plenty of sausage recipes out there you can use.

I’m waiting for colder weather (and an open season) to try this recipe

Thanks for the tip! That looks like a great area and not that far. I read somewhere that trappers dust their catch with flea powder before processing the fur. I may try that.

Jack’s need to either be cooked slow, pressure cooked or ground up and made into sausage. I’ve cooked them over a campfire and you could barely eat it it was so tough. I lost my favorite recipe for sausage but there’s plenty of sausage recipes out there you can use.

I’m waiting for colder weather (and an open season) to try this recipe

I never even considered making sausage, that’s brilliant!! I ate pressure cooked raccoon once. Not bad, but not great. I reckon it’s about the same as jacks. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: Hunt4lyf
I’m originally from Quebec where I focused on small game, that’s the kind of hunting I prefer. Snowshoe hare, cotton tails, ruffed grouse and woodcock were my prey of choice. I’m trying to find the rough equivalent here in SoCal and could use a little guidance. So far I have outfitted myself for varmint (coyote) and quail/dove, but I’m having a little trouble when it comes to rabbits. I was hoping to hunt for jackrabbits/cottontails with my 10/22, but finding ammo is a challenge. I found some CCI Copper-22 for sale on GunBroker, but read some reviews that claim it’s horribly inaccurate. I am considering buying a whole new rig in .22 WMR, but before committing to that, I have a few questions. Are there any jackrabbits within 90 minutes of Fallbrook? Are jackrabbits edible? I read that most hunters don’t harvest the meat because of some disease. Does the same hold true for cottontails? I’m not asking for specific spots or anything, I just want to know if I’m wasting my time. I’ve been lurking this forum for a while and have learned a lot. As I progress, I will definitely contribute more, but right now I’m just starting out. Thanks for reading!
Definitely not wasting your time. Bunny hunting is fun although this year sucked for some reason. Maybe it's that virus. Anyhow if you want to get out for jacks let me know.. it's what I do in between seasons. They eat great too if braised, chili, pasta sauce, etc. Can't grill or fry em. Makes great sausage too.. made an epic batch of chorizo once. And no, Larry didn't hack my account and write this.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu