ammo recommendations?

Leoffensive

Sep 5, 2015
San Diego, CA
tried to get into hunting a few years ago and had life get in the way. in a place where i can get some time to put towards hunting. wanna start for coyote i have a ruger american ranch in jail in 223/556. i also want to go after ground squirrels and rabbits. i have a 22lr but i understand that all ammo needs to have no lead so im not sure on where and what to look into. and for down the road i have a remington 721 in 30-06.

if finding lead free .22 is too much effort i have a compound bow but will need the blunt arrow heads.

anyways any recommendations to start from would be super helpful.

thanks in advance

Leo,

Depending where you're going to hunt coyotes and or rabbits with your .22.....You don't need non lead ammo till July 1st, 2019

I'd shoot lead till then.

Reactions: Leoffensive
Leo,

Depending where you're going to hunt coyotes and or rabbits with your .22.....You don't need non lead ammo till July 1st, 2019

I'd shoot lead till then.

I am in San Diego. my cousin has a ranch in dulzura. no problem with coyotes(maybe the 2 legged kind) thanks to his dogs. but he has a some issues with ground squirrels. no firearms now though with the crazy fires we've had lately.

i do wanna get out further east to the deserts when its not 110 out to go after coyotes.

CCI copper .22 is pretty easy to find. I have a bunch of it. I use Federal Trophy Copper .30-06.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Leoffensive
I've used .243 its work great and so accurate, and I'm so comfortable with it. I wanna try Elk and Moose. I know 20 people are going to tell me to move up in caliber, but I want to keep this thread to .243 big game hunting ammo.

Last edited:
tried to get into hunting a few years ago and had life get in the way. in a place where i can get some time to put towards hunting. wanna start for coyote i have a ruger american ranch in jail in 223/556. i also want to go after ground squirrels and rabbits. i have a 22lr but i understand that all ammo needs to have no lead so im not sure on where and what to look into. and for down the road i have a remington 721 in 30-06.

if finding lead free .22 is too much effort i have a compound bow but will need the blunt arrow heads.

anyways any recommendations to start from would be super helpful.

thanks in advance
CCI has lead free 22 ammo if you need it in 223 I use Black hills loaded with Barnes TTX because my rifle likes it but Barnes, Black Hills, Remington Razorback, etc etc are good rounds as well if your rifle shoots them well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu