Another D-16 San Diego Buck

toad

Aug 24, 2011
Chased this guy around all day yesterday. He was having a stand off with a spike yesterday morning with several does watching the show and I didn't quite get the shot. This morning with the wind that suddenly came up around 7:00am, he just about ran me over. I am not sure how all the scoring stuff works, he has 3 on one side and 4 on the other if you follow what my old friend Fletcher use to say, "Can you hang a ring on it?". I quartered him up and packed him out with help from my good friend John. I took him to Jim the Butcher and what a great guy. Jim is the friendliest guy I've ever taken deer too. I get two Christmas cards a year and one of them is Jim. I don't have this buck on game cam, so he must be moving around with the rut. Lots of ticks on me and the deer and I'm sure the poison oak will be kicking in on Tuesday.

Attachments

• PA300391-2low quality.jpg
    PA300391-2low quality.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 324
Nice buck toad! Tall, dark and handsome.

If your friend is Flether Deihl, he's my friend too.

I've been picking ticks off of myself all day. Hope i missed the poison oak this time.

Congrats!

Nice Buck! You guys are going to make me venture away from Camp Pendleton for next years season. Although I will keep the G10 as a second tag.

Nice work Toad ! That is a great local buck. Looks like a 3x3. Does it have an eye guard too?

Great buck Toad, well done. This is just getting awesome we are seeing some great bucks by all of you both alive and on the ground. I am truly with some great hunters and that was the vision of all of this was to see this kind of work and give everyone a chance to share it.

That is a great dark horn buck,

TA if you know Fletcher Diehl than you and I have way too much in common. I’m only 46 but I grew up with all these guys as a kid hunting with all of them. We will have to get together and have a few beers on our past, I’m sure there are some great stories to be told.

Neck looks huge, I believe these guys are finally in full rut.

Michael Pritzl said:
Great buck Toad, well done. This is just getting awesome we are seeing some great bucks by all of you both alive and on the ground. I am truly with some great hunters and that was the vision of all of this was to see this kind of work and give everyone a chance to share it.

That is a great dark horn buck,

TA if you know Fletcher Diehl than you and I have way too much in common. I’m only 46 but I grew up with all these guys as a kid hunting with all of them. We will have to get together and have a few beers on our past, I’m sure there are some great stories to be told.

Yes we do. How about at the BBQ?

Love Encore rifles, what caliber did you use? Good job ..... hate ticks!

Here is a little present for you from your friends at Southern California Hunting.

Attachments

• toad.jpg
    toad.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 283
Here is a better antler picture. He had an eyeguard on only one side. I knew Fletcher years ago and learned at great deal through his wonderfull local hunting stories. I hope to see him again someday. That rifle is a .308 I had shortened for brush hunting. Recoil is pretty sharp with this small set up and I had trouble in the beginning keeping the scope anchored down. I use a matching set up in .223 for similar terrain as a predator calling rifle. The only thing I would do different next time is change the hammer to a modern swivel kind and maybe stainless steel since it takes a lot of abuse.

I've heard rumors or read somewhere there is a local guy who has the skull cleaning beetles. Can someone confirm this and point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• PA310397antlerslow.jpg
    PA310397antlerslow.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 277
Bryce knows that guy !

Looks like your buck is a 4x3 now.

toad said:
Here is a better antler picture. He had an eyeguard on only one side. I knew Fletcher years ago and learned at great deal through his wonderfull local hunting stories. I hope to see him again someday. That rifle is a .308 I had shortened for brush hunting. Recoil is pretty sharp with this small set up and I had trouble in the beginning keeping the scope anchored down. I use a matching set up in .223 for similar terrain as a predator calling rifle. The only thing I would do different next time is change the hammer to a modern swivel kind and maybe stainless steel since it takes a lot of abuse.

I've heard rumors or read somewhere there is a local guy who has the skull cleaning beetles. Can someone confirm this and point me in the right direction?

Try Mike Berry at Animal Crafts in Pine Valley.

Skull cleaner is in Lakeside.
His name is Jon. I dont have his number handy, but Bruce at the Bow Shop has his fliers on the wall....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu