Another new guy

Travdawgg

Mar 20, 2019
Orange County
Hello,

My name is Travis, currently reside in Orange County and I’m new to this site and new to hunting (just got my hunting licenses). I grew up camping and shooting firearms, but never got into hunting until recently. My main interests of species to hunt are turkeys and waterfowl and one day down the road get into deer. Anyways, I just wanted to stop by to introduce myself and hopefully meet some people in the hunting community .

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Travis,

Welcome to SCH....Turkey season is almost here....By any chance did you attend the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up or the Bass Pro Shop turkey seminar?....If not, quite a few guys on the site that attended and took part in the events....Any questions about the upcoming season?

Reactions: Travdawgg
Welcome, I am in OC also. No Turkey aound the OC but short drive to San Diego to find some. The Holy fire has most areas in the OC closed till Sept, at least the accessable ones, so get used to driving.

Reactions: Travdawgg
Travis,

Welcome to SCH....Turkey season is almost here....By any chance did you attend the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up or the Bass Pro Shop turkey seminar?....If not, quite a few guys on the site that attended and took part in the events....Any questions about the upcoming season?

Unfortunately I was up in Paso Robles the same weekend as the turkey tune up and I did not know about the bass pro shop seminar. I wish I would have attended both of them both.
I would love to ask questions but I would be asking questions that have already been answered lol. Tons of information found through the internet. Do you recommend any good threads on here that I should read?

Welcome, I am in OC also. No Turkey aound the OC but short drive to San Diego to find some. The Holy fire has most areas in the OC closed till Sept, at least the accessable ones, so get used to driving.

Thanks for the welcoming and I’ve already come to terms with having to drive a lot haha.

Unfortunately I was up in Paso Robles the same weekend as the turkey tune up and I did not know about the bass pro shop seminar. I wish I would have attended both of them both.
I would love to ask questions but I would be asking questions that have already been answered lol. Tons of information found through the internet. Do you recommend any good threads on here that I should read?

Travis,

This one's pretty good....https://schoutdoors.com/threads/turkey-hunting-basics.7347/

Don't know why it's not coming up....It's in the Upland forums....Top of page.

Last edited:
Was this just a vacation? If you have contacts up there I recommend you plan on getting up their for turkeys.

Yeah it was just a short trip to take my girl wine tasting. I’ve heard there is some prime turkey hunting up there and while I was there I did manage to see some gobblers on some private land. I do not have any contacts up in Paso.

Travis,

This one's pretty good....https://schoutdoors.com/threads/turkey-hunting-basics.7347/

Don't know why it's not coming up....It's in the Upland forums....Top of page.

Also new
Hello,

My name is Travis, currently reside in Orange County and I’m new to this site and new to hunting (just got my hunting licenses). I grew up camping and shooting firearms, but never got into hunting until recently. My main interests of species to hunt are turkeys and waterfowl and one day down the road get into deer. Anyways, I just wanted to stop by to introduce myself and hopefully meet some people in the hunting community .
Hey Travis,

I also have come down with a bad case of adult onset hunting. I thought this was really good information on Turkey. https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=23229

Reactions: ilovesprig
No turkeys in Paso..only yardbirds..plenty of turkeys in San Diego area though..thats were i would go to hunt them..

everyone wants big $$$ to chase yardbirds in paso, i miss having access to south of naciamento. That place was yardbird central!!!!!!

Also new

Hey Travis,

I also have come down with a bad case of adult onset hunting. I thought this was really good information on Turkey. https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=23229

Awesome! I read through it last night thank you. Hope you have a good turkey season. Only a few more days!

No turkeys in Paso..only yardbirds..plenty of turkeys in San Diego area though..thats were i would go to hunt them..

Haha makes sense. San Diego is going to be my go to since it’s only an hour 1/2 away from where I live.

Welcome. Get the OnX app and read everything on this site.

Thank you and I downloaded OnX a couple weeks ago and have been scoping it out! Also have been using google earth.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu