Another Noobe here

Jkgts1

Oct 25, 2018
Wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself. I live in SoCal, riverside, and have always wanted to hunt. I’ve been shooting firearms since I was young, but I’m actually interested in archery hunting. I picked up a bow a few months ago and I’m practicing and tuning as much as I can.

I’ve done hunter Ed and passed the test a couple months ago. I’ve been looking into wild pig and deer mostly. I think I’m leaning toward pig right now, just because it’s year round. I’ve read how difficult it is to find pigs out here, or any game for that matter. I’m interested in spot and stalk, packing in, camping, and packing out.

With all this in mind, I have never done it before. I’ve been trying to hike more, lately with a 50lbs pack, to get used to it. I didn’t grow up in a hunting family so never had a chance to do it. Now that I’m 37, I figured my time is short haha, gotta get going. I’ve been slowly getting all the gear I think I might need before I jump in and find that I’m unprepared, which I might be anyway.

I e read through some of the noobe intros and seems like there are a good group of people here. I know hunting culture is tight lipped, and rightfully so, but I’m here to learn. Sorry for the long intro.

I’m looking at the draw and OTC and it’s a bit overwhelming for me. Might seem like a stupid question so I like to apologize in advance. If you get a deer tag, is that for any species deer? Mule deer vs black tail vs white tail.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Oh I forgot there is a place very close to me called big horn canyon ranch. I’ve read some things from people that say, the pigs will walk up to you. Haha of course that’s not the type of hunt I want, but as far as getting my feet wet I think it’s a good option. I can always go after the pigs that run from me and not lick my hand. Any opinions on the place? Has anyone here been there?

If you get a deer tag, is that for any species deer? Mule deer vs black tail vs white tail.

Welcome to SCH. Down here we only really have one subspecies, the Southern Mule Deer. In the far reaches of the desert there's burro deer but I'm no biologist so I won't get into specifics. But to answer your question, yes, your tag doesn't differentiate species, only zone, type of deer (antlered vs antlerless), method of take, and season dates.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Welcome to SCH. Down here we only really have one subspecies, the Southern Mule Deer. In the far reaches of the desert there's burro deer but I'm no biologist so I won't get into specifics. But to answer your question, yes, your tag doesn't differentiate species, only zone, type of deer (antlered vs antlerless), method of take, and season dates.

Good to know. Thank you

JK,

Welcome to SCH....As Jason has already stated, you buy a deer tag for specific areas for the most part (no white-tail in Cali either).....Personally, I would hunt deer 1st (there are some rifle D-13 & 15 tags left)....Very few to zero huntable pigs in SoCal....If you have the money though, plenty of guided hunts north of us.....And I think Big Horn is a good call for someone just starting out....It will be learning experience that involves a live animal versus a piece of paper.

ps.....There are no stupid questions....Just read the hunting regs backwards & forwards,

As was said above, there are no whitetails here. For pigs you are probably going to have to pay. There are a few on public land but finding them is going to take time. Good luck!

Wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself. I live in SoCal, riverside, and have always wanted to hunt. I’ve been shooting firearms since I was young, but I’m actually interested in archery hunting. I picked up a bow a few months ago and I’m practicing and tuning as much as I can.

I’ve done hunter Ed and passed the test a couple months ago. I’ve been looking into wild pig and deer mostly. I think I’m leaning toward pig right now, just because it’s year round. I’ve read how difficult it is to find pigs out here, or any game for that matter. I’m interested in spot and stalk, packing in, camping, and packing out.

With all this in mind, I have never done it before. I’ve been trying to hike more, lately with a 50lbs pack, to get used to it. I didn’t grow up in a hunting family so never had a chance to do it. Now that I’m 37, I figured my time is short haha, gotta get going. I’ve been slowly getting all the gear I think I might need before I jump in and find that I’m unprepared, which I might be anyway.

I e read through some of the noobe intros and seems like there are a good group of people here. I know hunting culture is tight lipped, and rightfully so, but I’m here to learn. Sorry for the long intro.

I’m looking at the draw and OTC and it’s a bit overwhelming for me. Might seem like a stupid question so I like to apologize in advance. If you get a deer tag, is that for any species deer? Mule deer vs black tail vs white tail.
Google guided and semi guided hunts in central and northern California. I found semi guided for $250, guided between $450-$750 for pig. Check them then post back and see if any here has any experience.
Go to partner hook up for deer hunts a round your area.
Then compare to big horn.

What are your thoughts on gohunt insider, is this something worth trying for Cali. Or am I getting too complicated too early?

Burro deer, a seldom spoke about sub species. I would love to read a good study on them.

Okay I have a question that im sure seems like a no brainer to most, I know because I can seem to find the answer anywhere. So, that leads me to believe that its common knowledge, haha. I read the California regulations, but I get more confused. Are there OTC deer tags in Cali, or is it all draw? the regs seem to group this together, well for pricing anyway. We touched on this a little in the first couple posts but im looking for more clarity. If I go buy a resident deer tag, not drawing, do I express which unit I want to hunt in? If I do, do I wait for a yes of no from the powers at be?

after the draw, they only have certain tags left that were not sold. if that area is what you are looking for then you will get your tag right then.
good luck. next year get in the draw to an area close to you.

after the draw, they only have certain tags left that were not sold. if that area is what you are looking for then you will get your tag right then.
good luck. next year get in the draw to an area close to you.
Oh I see, thanks for the info.

I wonder if we have any Sonoran

I have a buddy that lives in Tecate, the Mexico side and he swears every year deer pass through his ranch headed towards the US border. He says they are migrating, I wonder if they get to cross over/under the fence or just get stuck at the fence and migration ends? Do you think they are Sonoran mule deer?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu