Anti-theft ideas

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
Some looser tried to break into my truck by punching the key lock with a screwdriver. They either run out of time, or the screwdriver did not do the trick. Of course, they ruined my lock.

After getting my camper trailer stolen and all my belonging in it last year and now this, I am literally fuming.

I need to take action.

I am looking for :

1) A GPS tracker with no monthly fee and that is not apple based.
2) A security camera for my truck that can record and store video.
3) A serious weapon that is not a firearm or a knife that I can carry with me in the event I catch the thief in the act.. It has to be portable.
4) How do I replace the damaged lock? Can I just buy one from Amazon?

Thanks.

Where you livin..damn.
You would think that 2 blocks from the Ocean in the boundary line between Encinitas and Carlsbad where you can't find a condo for less than 1 mill the cops would patrol the area a little.
But the thieves come from other places to target the neighborhood. I rarely see a homeless person around here..but what do I see? Low-life young adults walking around with a hoodie in the middle of the day wearing vans and pretending they live in the area...I spot them, kids, a mile away, and when I ask them if I can help them since they seem to look for something or someone..they just move on.

Damn ..it's definitely a different world these days..

High value real estate areas get preyed upon big time, The criminals know there is money there. Used to live in Del Mar had two cars and a motorcycle stolen and my home and truck burglarized once each. The theives and tweekers come looking for places like that from the caves they lived in. Talk to the patrol cops they will give you the low down on criminal activity as they deal with it every day. Also look at the police blotter that your local cops publish it will give you a feel for what is going on in your neighborhood. Best thing is spend the money and armor your property and your vehicles. Its not cheap but its really all you got. Also do you have a neighbhood watch program ? I live in the mountains now and have never had any problems as everyone up this way knows everyone one up here settles things before dialing 911..

Reactions: Wildgame
I'm not far from you. South of La Costa & east of ECR. If you dare read Nextdoor app people are dealing with this crap all around the area. My daughter has a dog so I'm not too worried about inside the house.or backyard but it's hard to protect the front.

I'll ask my security director at work what he has. He's pretty up to date with the stuff you're asking about.

Reactions: Wildgame
We have ring cameras at my house. Incredibly easy to set up and monitor from your smartphone. They have motion sensors and flood lights attached that automatically turn on, I can talk to people through them. You can also get solar-powered flood lights on Amazon that have a motion sensor.

A Sheriff taught a home/business safety course at the Poway Chamber of Commerce and had a lot of great tips. They even offer to come out to your house and point out things. I would see if your LE will do the same. The biggest takeaway is not giving them a reason to come on to your place or making it seem difficult to get what they want. The path of least resistance is most often taken.

Trackers come in two flavors both cost money, why would it be free? Cell based and sat based. Verison has cell trackers for like 20$ a month, spot has GPS trackers for about the same. Both work great.

Cameras are worthless, just get pics of people you can't identify

How about a sword? Forget the Japanese ones, go for a big two hand highlander one. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

most breakins are smash and grabs. No way to defend. They are gone in 10 seconds. Only way to fix it is to leave this liberal paradise

Apple AirTags work pretty good, some businesses and people have used them. We have had good success recovering property and nabbing some bad guys. Small easy to conceal

Reactions: Wildgame and skeet
Not much you can do against the scum, if they want what you have they are likely to get it. Everything you do only keeps honest people honest. For home protection, a big loud dog, scums don't need that, they will go for easier targets.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Who's going to steal your rig with him inside. They don't wanna feed him either

Don't dare wake him from his naps...

if possible, figure a way to park in your garage. motion detector light. better car alarm and increase the sensitivity. they have some that will sound off even when you approach. i know you said no apple devices, but air tags work great. small can of pepper spray

if possible, figure a way to park in your garage. motion detector light. better car alarm and increase the sensitivity. they have some that will sound off even when you approach. i know you said no apple devices, but air tags work great. small can of pepper spray
Do you know if the air tags are android compatible?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu