Any Advise for Sons first Duck Hunt This Weekend - Los Banos

staymooney

Dec 9, 2021
Taking my son for his first duck this weekend. All on his own he figured out how to get on the drawing and got a #6 reservation this Sunday. Hoping this weather will push some birds around. But other than that.... Any of yall have any advise on which blinds I should aim for? #6 is pretty good I am hoping to put my son on some birds. Also... Should I bring Blind Cover? Or are the blinds good enough? Thanks in advance for any advise... We are also going to try to get on any blind Saturday afternoon just to see what the place looks like in the light.

Sorry for the other post I made in Open Forum ... I cannot figure out how to delete it. This is the correct place for the post.

Load up the 3 1/2 2s and at first light start blasting at those duckies until the barrel is hot enough to fry bacon!! The first few duck hunts are tough, if you want to bring home a duck on your first trips you can’t be afraid to let the steel fly and stretch your range a bit! Once you get the hang of things you can settle into the whole get em close, working the decoys strategy but for now just get out there and blast away! Theres no shame in a water swat either! Although I have grown out of my long range phase, I still love a good water swat. Water swatting is an effective way to put ducks in the pan, whether you’re a new guy or a seasoned pro!!

@CazadorSuerte what part of my comment do you dislike?

Well look who's back...Telling a person to "Just get out there and blast away", is irresponsible at the least...The person who asked the question is taking his son and needs some help at Los Banos...You got anything on that?...Good grief!

Andy,

Obviously, don't take this guys advice on shoot high, shoot often mentality......... :blush:

Learn the rules of the refuge they are strict and will get you with very little leniency especially with shell limits and mag capacity.

FYI my boys shot 20ga 2 3/4" #4 for years now they shoot 3" #4. Large shells don't make you shoot better and with kids less recoil is always better in my experience.

Have fun....paint his face duck dynasty style and let him blow duck calls even if he flares a couple who cares its all part of the experience and it makes the kids feel good. Get him a duck whistle if you can it's pretty much the only thing I use and works for most the birds flying around here. Make your focus having a good time with your boy and no matter the outcome it will be a good day. Good luck post up some pics of your trip.

man I can’t believe how big my boys are now this is their first trip to wister below.
CD17FADA-D588-4C7C-B0F3-4F76D5A4C59D.jpegF3BBC07B-2E06-49C1-A576-B8856CBE64BE.jpegFBC69A81-FB37-49C9-86FF-068395EE82A4.jpeg

My guess would be the part of stretching the range and the water swat, Ive noticed on other forums that people like to dictate how other people hunt, even if they're doing it in a safe manner...
No one cares if you water swat a duck in range. The whole extending your range and let steel fly is basically flipping off the other hunters in the area and showing how entitled you really think you are. The need to pull the trigger is more important than another blind (or you) getting those birds after being patient. Not to mention flaring another bird 1/2 mile away that someone worked in for their child or friends first bird.

Well look who's back...Telling a person to "Just get out there and blast away", is irresponsible at the least...The person who asked the question is taking his son and needs some help at Los Banos...You got anything on that?...Good grief!

Andy,

Obviously, don't take this guys advice on shoot high, shoot often mentality......... :blush:
Blast away at ducks!! I never said blast away at whatever you see! Also, obviously blast away while staying within your bag limit and all other regulations. I didn’t explain every little detail because I didn’t know that people would try and twist my statement. Stretching your range a bit is not the same as skybusting. Never said shoot high either, did I?!! There are shots outside what I would usually take that are still inside ethical range. I don’t take them because I like to watch them decoy. That doesn’t mean I’m going to be mad at my neighbor if he takes an ethical shot a little bit further than I would take! He could be a newbie trying to scratch out his first few ducks!

Last edited:
No one cares if you water swat a duck in range. The whole extending your range and let steel fly is basically flipping off the other hunters in the area and showing how entitled you really think you are. The need to pull the trigger is more important than another blind (or you) getting those birds after being patient. Not to mention flaring another bird 1/2 mile away that someone worked in for their child or friends first bird.
Lets not keep twisting my statements! You can extend your range a bit and still be within ethics. Skybusting is a whole different thing, and was never advocated by me!

I don’t know why the slightest mention of extending your range gets people carried away into theatrics and teary eyed speeches on the evils of skybusting. This is all very uncalled for and unnecessary.

OP, Most of the blinds at Los Banos will be in fair shape at this point. Lots of them are stand up blinds which may be a little tall for a little guy to shoot/see out of. Los Banos has some junior blinds that you can only take if you have a junior, then Mud slough which has a handful of blinds and is part of Los Banos that can shoot okay. Look at the numbers for them. Some of the good blinds there are permanent water, and can be on the deep side. Hope that helps.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu