Any birds off-limits?

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
I got a reality check last weekend when the birds/doves I encountered all flew so fast that I couldn't identify them as doves. That got me thinking, are there any other small birds out there that I can't shoot, besides quail? I'm just wondering how you're supposed to make the split-second decision to shoot at a small bird in the distance. Thanks.

If it’s so far in the distance that you can’t identify it, it’s too far out to shoot at. You’re wasting shells. Watch them, learn how they fly and what they look like.

THE Mexican ( BROWN or GROUND) dove is off limits. NO SHOOT

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Zak
The dove are the easiest of all birds to identify

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mexican dove are not very common. They are much smaller than other dove. In all my years of dove hunting I think I have seen maybe two. ID of the two most common dove, mourning and white wing. is fairly easy. Aside from the white wings, white on wing feathers, their tail is shorter and squared tipped, where mourners have longer tapered tails. Eurasian dove are generally larger and are more of a powder gray in color, and have a black ring on the back of their neck, Hench the name Eurasian collard dove. I always look for the tail shape as first ID characteristics.

Reactions: Zak
Dove are very easy to ID! spend some time watching them. If you can not tell do not shoot. This will not be a long term problem, few days of it and you will be pro :)

Dove are real easy to ID like Aeon said just go a few more times you will get the hang of it. They have a real distinct shape and flight pattern.

In my early 20s I use to take a lot of new guys dove hunting out at the river. I have seen a few kill deer accidentally shot in my day. Took a few jump shooting ducks and had a guy smack a cormorant thinking it was a goose. I now only hunt with a handful of people it’s much easier that way.

This is why Argentina is so glorious. Nothing better than shooting green parrots. Nothing is safe down there.

I got a reality check last weekend when the birds/doves I encountered all flew so fast that I couldn't identify them as doves. That got me thinking, are there any other small birds out there that I can't shoot, besides quail? I'm just wondering how you're supposed to make the split-second decision to shoot at a small bird in the distance. Thanks.
Doves are easy to ID, spend a bit of time and you'll soon be able to quick ID a mourning from a white wing from a euro from an Inca dove (protected). Ducks get a bit trickier to ID in the dark morning hours. I may try to hunt on Sunday if anythings flying.. let me know if you're down there.

Meadow larks are dove like, don't shoot...Dowitchers are not Wilson's snipe...Black birds are black...SPARROW HAWKS are not doves (ask George W. Bush)

ps...You can shoot starlings.

pss...Invest in a bird ID book.

Thanks! I'm going to print that out.

The Mexican dove are not very common. They are much smaller than other dove. In all my years of dove hunting I think I have seen maybe two. ID of the two most common dove, mourning and white wing. is fairly easy. Aside from the white wings, white on wing feathers, their tail is shorter and squared tipped, where mourners have longer tapered tails. Eurasian dove are generally larger and are more of a powder gray in color, and have a black ring on the back of their neck, Hench the name Eurasian collard dove. I always look for the tail shape as first ID characteristics.

That was helpful, I plan on watching some videos before giving it another shot so I know what I'm looking for. Glad everyone is saying it's easy though :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu