Any recommendations for a butcher?

8SteelTown

Hey all... been looking around for a good butcher in the North San Diego county / Riverside county area. I saw all the posts on Jim The Butcher, but was hoping for someone more north. Any names, numbers, or websites would be appreciated.

Thank you

Jesse

Specialty Meats (Bob) on El Norte Pky in Escondido is who I use......100 bucks for most deer.

Your allowed to bring your animals in on Sundays too......Just fill out all the necessary paper work and hang the animal in the cold box.

I went to scope the place in Poway last season. I did not get a good vibe from the guy. It went down something like this:

Butcher: Hello, can I help you?
Me: Yeah, I was wondering about wild game processing?
B: What do you mean, wild game?
M: Like a deer, can you process deer here?
B: You're going to KILL a deer???
M: Well, I'm going to try. I might not succeed.
B: Do you know what you're doing?
M: No. But on the off-chance I succeed then I really don't know what I'm doing. Can you process a deer or not?
B: I guess so.
M: Well how much would that cost?
B: I don't know. Maybe $250.
M: $250?!
B: It's a lot of work, portioning, sausage and ground, vacuum packing...
M: Ok forget sausage and ground. How much just to break it down?
B: I don't know, maybe $150?
M: Ok thanks. I'm just doing my research right now. Let's see if I even get a deer first.
B: Be careful out there. You know you can just buy meat right?

ilovesprig said:
Specialty Meats (Bob) on El Norte Pky in Escondido is who I use......100 bucks for most deer.

Your allowed to bring your animals in on Sundays too......Just fill out all the necessary paper work and hang the animal in the cold box.

X2

Good thread, I was wondering same thing. Is there a good processor in east county SD that also does sausage? I don't mind driving up to Esco but just wondering if there's one close by that u guys like.

T&H in San Marcos is something to look at if you are in to specialty processing (sausage and such) Jacob the owner is an old school butcher from Europe. He's a bit pricey but does good work.

Used them all in SD for elk.......Jim is the best but T&H makes a little better sausage but it's a lot more.

If you tell them what you want and be specific they all do a good job. Some work better with you than others.

I usually ask for hams go to burger 10% pork fat in 1& 2lbs packs the balance cut into steaks and chops in 1-2 lbs packages or I'll order by cuts then balance burger. If you do some research on cuts of beef and what their good for that will give you a place to start......just because it says steak doesn't mean it goes on the grill.......round steak for one

Just butcher the deer your self with butchers I feel like you never know what your getting back and if it's even yours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D16hunter said:
Just butcher the deer your self with butchers I feel like you never know what your getting back and if it's even yours

Amen to that.. Its not like a deer is Actually that huge anyways.. if it was an elk or a buffalo then i say ok maybe just maybe IF u have no idea what ur doing.. But man now days with the internet u can learn just about anything real quick.. there are thousands of videos how to on youtube on how to breakdown a deer and quite a few other animals..

(for some reason i just assume hes getting a deer processed lol)

the grounding of the meat is actually not difficult at all either.. the making of sausages would be probably the most difficult part of what has been described in this thread so far..

D16 / JaySoCal: It'll be my first deer (if I get one). Yes, I have pictures, books, and youtube videos on how to. Yes, I've done smaller game and could figure it out. But, since it would be my first, I would rather pay to know it's done correctly. The last thing I would want to do is start it myself, mess it up (which I've heard is pretty easy to do), and junk all the meat. Again, first time so don't judge.

Pretty sad to say that you think the butcher is going to steal your meat and replace it with junk cuts... might happen at some hole in the wall locations, but that's why I asked for recommendations.

Thanks for your contribution.

8steeltown. I completely understand how you feel. But its not too hard of a job. It just takes time. The meat has natural lines to follow and for the most part will come apart in its own sections. You just have to cut it off the bone and cut tendons. Luckily for me I watched the first two times. After that I had no choice but to do it on my own. I will always butcher my own from now on. I like to know that I did it all myself from harvest to table.

8SteelTown said:
D16 / JaySoCal: It'll be my first deer (if I get one). Yes, I have pictures, books, and youtube videos on how to. Yes, I've done smaller game and could figure it out. But, since it would be my first, I would rather pay to know it's done correctly. The last thing I would want to do is start it myself, mess it up (which I've heard is pretty easy to do), and junk all the meat. Again, first time so don't judge.

Pretty sad to say that you think the butcher is going to steal your meat and replace it with junk cuts... might happen at some hole in the wall locations, but that's why I asked for recommendations.

Thanks for your contribution.
If you don't want to butcher your own deer find some one who will help you that knows what their doing. That's how me and my dad learned 6 years ago and we have never taken a deer to the butcher. We just learned through trial and error.

D16hunter said:

X2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu