Anybody hunt near Sutherland?

CV-Young buck

Nov 30, 2013
Chula Vista ca
I recently got 500 acres of private land to hunt near lake Sutherland and I got to go up there for the first time yesturday, I sat for 5 hours till about 7 o'clock and didn't see anything or even hear anything. The land owner said it was full of game during the summer so I'm wondering if someone came in an poached or if the area is just dead right now? What do you think?

There is definitely a lot of game around Sutherland. 500 acres or private land!!!!??? :eek: :eek: I would give it more time in the area. Did you walk around to find trails and or sign?

Oh believe me I'll be giving it more time!! ;D I did walk some trails and sat on top of a ridge and scanned. I saw some signs but not much that's why I'm thinking someone was poaching it. The land owner said just driving up the road he would see acouple bucks and alotta turkey's. Iv been waiting for this for too long so I'll be putting in a lot of work!

I have sat 13-15 times, just to give you an idea of how much time I have in my stand this season and only have seen 7-8 deer the entire time and two legal. I also spent 10-15 days in the field between scouting and setting cameras and retrieving cards and moving cameras, not to mention the 4-5 days I spent trimming and hanging stands. You have a ton of land to hunt and will probably not figure it out for a while. Good luck

CMPeterson said:
I have sat 13-15 times, just to give you an idea of how much time I have in my stand this season and only have seen 7-8 deer the entire time and two legal. I also spent 10-15 days in the field between scouting and setting cameras and retrieving cards and moving cameras, not to mention the 4-5 days I spent trimming and hanging stands. You have a ton of land to hunt and will probably not figure it out for a while. Good luck
Thank you I guess I just gotta be patient! I think I'm just so stoked I finally got this!

Give it time........even on private land it takes time to know the area and the habits of the game.

MJB said:
Give it time........even on private land it takes time to know the area and the habits of the game.

Well said. Spend as much time there as your schedule allows. Don't go tramping through the place, stay high and glass.

for now look for tracks, where the ground is beat up, then sit and watch. it takes patience & time. keep covered & keep the wind in your face.
try not to move. after you sit. hunting pressure should be almost nothing.
there's only 4 week ends left. you have a hunters dream place. keep to the rules & take care of his place.
you have a jewel in your hands. I bet there's monster bucks in there.

also do as LP said don't trample the whole place. have fun lucky guy. :p

That's an amazing gift and I'm sure that your enthusiasm is rewarding to your host. Is there water on the property? If not, where are the nearest sources outside the property? You can find nearby natural water sources (springs, etc) using topo maps from USGS, or your host will probably know where they are. Also, does he have livestock? Is the terrain open, wooded or mixed? Knowing the most available water and favorite browse will help you locate trails with sign you can follow in order to set up your game cameras.

Sent via Tapatalk

You literally just won the lotto bud. I was out there calling last night, saw hundreds of turkey on private and 3 bobcats. You should see if the property owner has a predator problem, good way to get a feel for the land and make the owner happy at the same time.

Bonejour said:
That's an amazing gift and I'm sure that your enthusiasm is rewarding to your host. Is there water on the property? If not, where are the nearest sources outside the property? You can find nearby natural water sources (springs, etc) using topo maps from USGS, or your host will probably know where they are. Also, does he have livestock? Is the terrain open, wooded or mixed? Knowing the most available water and favorite browse will help you locate trails with sign you can follow in order to set up your game cameras.

Sent via Tapatalk
Yes there is actually a lot of water! There's three natural springs that are actually broken so I'm gunna fix those, and the neighboring property has guzzlers right on the property line. It borders a reservation and there's a guy that goes out and shoots coyotes cause his cows graze in the area!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu