Anyone ever hunt China Lake Unit up North?

Kbird22

Apr 19, 2020
Drew a good reservation for the opener but I know nothing about the unit and the hunt stats from last year are god awful until about mid to late november. Makes me think they didn't flood it til late or there was some other problem. They started flooding it October 1st of this month for this season, seemed a little late to me.

Drew a good reservation for the opener but I know nothing about the unit and the hunt stats from last year are god awful until about mid to late november. Makes me think they didn't flood it til late or there was some other problem. They started flooding it October 1st of this month for this season, seemed a little late to me.
It’s pretty god awful until about December you might pull a couple birds out of there though

It’s pretty god awful until about December you might pull a couple birds out of there though
Seems to be the common theme based off the hunt stats available. I wonder why that is. Driving 5 hours for a couple birds may not be worth it

from the hunter meeting in August:

252 acres to be flooded on opener

Three hundred and thirty-nine acres of watergrass were irrigated this year.

Two hundred and forty-six acres of swamp timothy was irrigated.

Waterfowl opening weekend hunter quota is expected to be 10.

Quota will increase as more wetlands get flooded. Maximum quota will be up to 40 hunters.

Thirty acres safflower was planted and irrigated to maturity. Additionally, 45 acres of volunteer wheat was irrigated to maturity resulting in good seed production.

Pond 8 was seeded with barley and will not be flooded this year.

There continues to be issues with rank aquatic vegetation growing in the cement delivery canal. Rank vegetation allows for sediment build-up and reduces capacity of the canal.

Nutria were discovered on the area early summer of 2018. The area continues to be monitored for nutria.

Last Years Opener - 3 hunters got 6 ducks (spoons and mallard). Every year is different...so it's just up to you and your adventurous spirit.. :)

You might Call and ask to talk to Steven Miyamoto Manager (209) 826-0463 See what he says

Reactions: duck-boy
Nutria were discovered on the area early summer of 2018. The area continues to be monitored for nutria.

Wonder if they are allowing you to 'dispatch' these if seen. I know they want to eradicate.

Wonder if they are allowing you to 'dispatch' these if seen. I know they want to eradicate.

They ask you to report it. They’ll get after it.

I think they believe too many would misidentify and kill beavers, otters and other animals.

Reactions: chessie
from the hunter meeting in August:

252 acres to be flooded on opener

Three hundred and thirty-nine acres of watergrass were irrigated this year.

Two hundred and forty-six acres of swamp timothy was irrigated.

Waterfowl opening weekend hunter quota is expected to be 10.

Quota will increase as more wetlands get flooded. Maximum quota will be up to 40 hunters.

Thirty acres safflower was planted and irrigated to maturity. Additionally, 45 acres of volunteer wheat was irrigated to maturity resulting in good seed production.

Pond 8 was seeded with barley and will not be flooded this year.

There continues to be issues with rank aquatic vegetation growing in the cement delivery canal. Rank vegetation allows for sediment build-up and reduces capacity of the canal.

Last Years Opener - 3 hunters got 6 ducks (spoons and mallard). Every year is different...so it's just up to you and your adventurous spirit.. :)

You might Call and ask to talk to Steven Miyamoto Manager (209) 826-0463 See what he says
Thank you for the great info

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu