Anyone got a radio license? Is it useful?

Hiryuu

Aug 24, 2019
San Diego
So still new, and couldn't find anything via search, so I was curious if anyone is FCC licensed and uses radios while hunting? Mainly intrested for safety and party control, but curious on y'alls opinions on the subject.

I plan on getting my license this coming month, but an outdoors group I know, Triple B Adventures uses ham radios for all of their outing for the very same reasons you want to and have great success with it.

Reactions: Hiryuu
Here's the sales pitch:
There's never been a better time to be a 'Ham'. It's not just for WWII vets and nerds any more.
I got my license for $10 and 4 hours of study. Over 3/4 of my Xterra club guys are hams.
You don't need to know Morse Code any more to get licensed. Even cool kids are doing it.
Hand held ham radios are inexpensive and waaaaay better than FRS or CB.
No idiots allowed on Ham frequencies, always good folks..That use words like 'Folks'.
Hams will be talking long after cell phones, power grids and internet takes a dump.

Reactions: as73
Here's the sales pitch:
There's never been a better time to be a 'Ham'. It's not just for WWII vets and nerds any more.
I got my license for $10 and 4 hours of study. Over 3/4 of my Xterra club guys are hams.
You don't need to know Morse Code any more to get licensed. Even cool kids are doing it.
Hand held ham radios are inexpensive and waaaaay better than FRS or CB.
No idiots allowed on Ham frequencies, always good folks..That use words like 'Folks'.
Hams will be talking long after cell phones, power grids and internet takes a dump.

:heart: He is Speaking the Truth I've been a Ham for 13years now still fairly new. I've been a part of three life and death rescues where a cell phone would not work. I once did a auto patch to CHP to report a wild fire and the dispatcher kept asking me for the cross streets. I gave her the wgs84 cords. and told her to give them to the pilot. He flew right to Us. Get your Lisc, you won't regret it!
73's

Reactions: rbduffer
I am a ham tech1. Real easy to get, I suggest everyone do it.

I run a hand held if anything it’s a good safety net

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu