Anyone hitting A31?

WrstDuckHntr

Nov 11, 2019
This will be my second year hunting A31. Last year I only saw a few doe and they always knew I was there or saw/heard me first so no opportunities. Tomorrow I am going to try and different spot that will allow me to sit a glass a bit more. Praying the gates are open or else its a long ass hike in on the road.

Hunted it back when it was called S2...dumped a few bucks and quite a few girl deer back in the mid to late 80,s in that zone.. ahhh...the good old days...no roads back then though ..least not in my area... uggh

I think the zone boundaries were a bit different S2 than A31 is now? I remember being able to hunt Malibu unless that was a different S tag. Yeah good old days wasn't a bunch stupid gated mansions blocking access into places. Oh lord what the people there would think if they saw you hunting now.

Dead deer in pools and hung up in the wrought iron fencing sucked for sure.... ugh.

I don't get how you don't see any and only saw a few does all of last season. I went out yesterday in the middle of the day to place my cams out with my daughter and we saw 3 not even really looking too hard. We are not even all that great at looking either. One was a spike. And the others I saw on the way out checking a spot for something else entirely and saw 2 more in the distance but could be a really promising spot. How much sign are you seeing in the spots your looking?

Well damn bro thanks for confirming that I suck as bad as I think I do lol. I’ve been at this for 11 years and only ever seen probably 20 deer. So yes, I’m aware that I am doing something wrong. I keep getting back out there and trying again. Luckily I love being out in the forest but it would be nice to start figuring something out. I’ll be back out Saturday with all the rifle hunters, maybe they’ll spook something towards me with my bow.

This will be my second year hunting A31. Last year I only saw a few doe and they always knew I was there or saw/heard me first so no opportunities. Tomorrow I am going to try and different spot that will allow me to sit a glass a bit more. Praying the gates are open or else its a long ass hike in on the road.
I’m hunting A31 this year, Saturday I seen 22 doe’s and more bear scat then I’ve ever seen in my life but no visual on bears or bucks. It’s my first year bow hunting and I realized real quick getting within bow range is harder then I thought. I had 4 peg me at 365 yards like I was coming in with a marching band behind me. Even though I was only able to get close 4 times I never had a shot that I was comfortable with. No matter what I still had a great time and will be back at it again trying to succeed. Good luck out thereE6632AD2-2322-4419-8084-E71BDC9B874D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m hunting A31 this year, Saturday I seen 22 doe’s and more bear scat then I’ve ever seen in my life but no visual on bears or bucks. It’s my first year bow hunting and I realized real quick getting within bow range is harder then I thought. I had 4 peg me at 365 yards like I was coming in with a marching band behind me. Even though I was only able to get close 4 times I never had a shot that I was comfortable with. No matter what I still had a great time and will be back at it again trying to succeed. Good luck out thereView attachment 51361
That's awesome congrats on at least seeing something out there. I'm sure that between now and December you will have some opportunities since you are at least in a area that is holding deer. I'm going to hunt D14 for a couple weeks and then I'll be back at A31 trying to switch up my poor performance.

Reactions: dirtriddr
That's awesome congrats on at least seeing something out there. I'm sure that between now and December you will have some opportunities since you are at least in a area that is holding deer. I'm going to hunt D14 for a couple weeks and then I'll be back at A31 trying to switch up my poor performance.
Good luck in D14, this year I have an A31 and a D11 tag so hopefully I will be able to get something this year :)

Reactions: WrstDuckHntr

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu