Anyone hunting from a tree saddle in D16?

60 bucks... Leafy Camo suit... lil bit of natural ground blind built from nearby stuff... then just hold still.

Don't draw til their eye goes behind a tree or they put their head down near the ground.

At best... an elevated position may give you a leeetle more shot opportunity / shooting lanes... and get your scent up higher. But that's about it.

I'd imagine the question to ask yourself is... is it even possible for you to hike in even earlier like you'd need in order to fuss with all the climbing and securing the stuff and all that... and then giving yourself enough lead in time after that commotion that the forest has had a chance to calm back down and forget about all the noise and commotion you just made? And get all that done before the primo morning hours, ya know?

I figure you'd probably have to pre-scout to pick your tree spots... and maybe pre-attach climbing foot-holds? But I don't think you can attach anything in a permanent manner, so that's out. You'd need to attach climbing sticks on the day of.

AND... ok.. so you do all this and you get successful. What then? Now for sure you have to make another trip back in to collect all that stuff. Be too much weight for 1 pack-out trip. I mean... if you truly feel it'll marketedly improve your chance for success, then I say sure, give it a try. BUT... I'd sincerely recommend before that just trying out the cheaper and safer concealment options of either a Leafy Suit chosen in a color that matches well with the habitat, or a Kill Suit Mesh-Strip Ghillie Suit. (Trim some of the strip as needed, such as on your bow-holding arm).

I mean hell dude... if my n00b butt with shoulder injuries and bad-vision can pull-off a Bow-Kill from the ground... anybody can.

Thats great stuff. For sure I think about all that.

* My understanding is that once you have the saddle system dialed in it takes 10 min and is quiet. Im not selling it, but really watch some videos.
*the climbing of my choice in the other hand would be the DRT technique. Check these guys from NY. Fast forward some..

The DRT technique looks like a PITA to most, but it actually suits me..love me some physical challenge.

*The Ghillie suit is must have. I agree... I watched "The hunting public" youtube channel and those guys kill it with the Ghillie.

See, that's what I am trying to find out..Would it give me an advantage in D16 vs hunting from the ground?...if the answer is No,or just maybe, or even marginal, then it would not be worth the investment to me now. There might be a reason why is not more popular here in Southern Cal. maybe it works best in the east coast.

I am content hunting from the ground so far, but the idea of the hanging of a tree to shoot a bow sounds awesome. I will be heading out Monday & Tuesday seeking to fill my A22 again. My 50yrds and in shots are pretty freaking good right now.

Thanks for your reply dude.

The thing I've always wondered about with the in-the-tree techniques is that... at least in the places in D15 that I've hung out at... We don't have those straight-trunk type of trees out there. Instead big ol' Oaks with very stout large side branches coming off them.

Like you... when I then saw these guys doing the saddle business I began to think and wonder if maybe those would work with these Oaks we've got out here. Since that way you wouldn't be having to fart around with sliding-up a climbing tree-stand, which *I think* you pretty much couldn't do on these Oaks.

But also... the trunks on these things are pretty damn big, so I got to wondering if these setup/kits would even initially come with enough damn rope.

The other thing that eventually turned me off to the idea was the thought of carrying all that stuff in and out with you. And the extra weight it'd tack onto your pack. Lot of these guys are spoiled and have the opportunity to drive in real damn close to their setups.

The thing I've always wondered about with the in-the-tree techniques is that... at least in the places in D15 that I've hung out at... We don't have those straight-trunk type of trees out there. Instead big ol' Oaks with very stout large side branches coming off them.

Like you... when I then saw these guys doing the saddle business I began to think and wonder if maybe those would work with these Oaks we've got out here. Since that way you wouldn't be having to fart around with sliding-up a climbing tree-stand, which *I think* you pretty much couldn't do on these Oaks.

But also... the trunks on these things are pretty damn big, so I got to wondering if these setup/kits would even initially come with enough damn rope.

The other thing that eventually turned me off to the idea was the thought of carrying all that stuff in and out with you. And the extra weight it'd tack onto your pack. Lot of these guys are spoiled and have the opportunity to drive in real damn close to their setups.

The more I read about it the more it seems to be an East coast thing. Because as you mentioned the Trees, and also the proximity of the trees that create corridors for Deer to pass by.
It doesn't seem that it is going to work for me after all. I am kind of digging the Spot and stalk for now anyway. But then again, I don't have a nice cozy spot to hang from a Tree for a day.

I hunted D15 once three years ago and I found an old tree stand and it was pretty cool. They made it all out of wood and it was only about 7 feet off the ground. It looked like it had been there a long time.

I’m curious if you ended up trying out a saddle? I’ve been thinking about trying one out. For me they seem way better, lighter and compact than a tree stand. Also I think using one for coyotes would work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m curious if you ended up trying out a saddle? I’ve been thinking about trying one out. For me they seem way better, lighter and compact than a tree stand. Also I think using one for coyotes would work well.

Where's the G-dog when you need him?

I didn't because I needed to go out and look for deer as opposed to pic a spot and wait on a tree.
I spot and stock hunt and so far I prefer it to hunting from a tree.
Perhaps next year. By now I gained some knowledge on where to hunt from a tree.
Cheers.

Reactions: vtc17
LOL if it goes to Laguna everyone will know, hell the pasted 10 years you find a tree stand on every 20/30 yards just about out there

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu