Anyone Quail Archery Hunt?

rad looking arrows , that's what I do to visibly see my arrows when I look for them, but had some just disappear under the grass... never found them lol

I was out scouting for dove yesterday in the Imperial Valley and came across a few coveys crossing the road in between the canals. Tried putting a sneak on a few but couldn’t get close enough to get a clean shot before they busted me. Finally I did get close enough to get a shot at a straggler male who stopped in the middle of the road. I somehow managed to get a glancing hit with a puff of feathers at 20 yards. Just using my normal arrows with a field tip. He walked away safe and I luckily found my arrow. My buddy couldn’t believe I hit it, and thankfully I have him to back up my story, lol. Don’t think I would intentionally go out for archery quail. But if they are there, it’s worth trying to bag one of you have your bow.

Reactions: TrapLine
Wearing the stripe, the area used to have water everywhere is dry to the bone now and was strangely quiet. Back to the springs. I think something hissed twice at me from the brush, turned and looked around where it came from but didn't see anything. maybe just hearing things trying to listen for bird calls over the fly buzz.

I checked in this brush area and others to see if I could flush anything but no one home. Going to keep a few arrows in my quiver for next weeks bear hunt if the oppurtunuty presents itself. Will be over 6,500 feet so maybe some mountain quail to be found. I am better prepared now than I was a week ago.

3DDF939C-D481-438D-A9A5-D62900B87330.png

Used the DSLR in place of the binos today and only spotted these guys. Not sure what they are. Need to work on my identification so I can flag more species on OnX. At least huntable ones.

79F8AFFC-BCD4-4BB2-AEF3-512368C3D54D.png

142AAB35-58FC-4BBD-981D-EAFBBAD4C2A0.png

I used to hunt my parents property in Temecula with a bow for quail from time to time, along with rabbits, opossums, you name it. Back before kids when I had plenty of time to practice. What a blast I had.
Those judos are the hot ticket. Better than anything else I have tried. You just barley have to catch them with one of the claw wires and it spins them dead. So in reality it is not too small of a target. Never tried shooting one in flight though, crazy how people can do it.
I used a 70lb bow and blazers! Missing sucked. Went through a lot of arrows in those days. Squirrels were the worst, always on rock piles.
I have a couple 40 yarders on quail under my belt. One off the top of a fence post and the other off a log. Had my brothers and some other spectators watching both times and it was really hard to keep it cool. They were looking at me like I was some sort of arrow flinging sorcerer and I didn’t have the heart to tell them I was just as surprised. Ah, the good ol days

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu