Anyone Quail Archery Hunt?

I got the Judos today, the bow shop called and said my arrows are ready but I already had baits in the water. Going to pick them up tomorrow and take them out Sunday to see if I can hit anything.

B0C68BF0-4CDB-4343-9EDD-662A43CCED5D.png

Hope the hunting is better than the fishing tonight.

6E965132-AB85-4ACF-897D-479BF7B52811.png

Reactions: longbowhunter2
well I was practicing this morning , my arm is at 85% healed, shooting 35 yards with the recurve an I was able hit the target 1 out of 2, second shot was skimming my block, pulling to the left slightly.
took advantage of the morning cool.. gonna be an other hot day to day.. should be at beach or off shore …

I think we should try this and see how it works, why not

I was reading the reviews and looks like the 6” will take out a site if the arrows don't clear it on a compound. Thinking 3” or 2”, also looking to see if I can find some thing like thin stiff wire that will slip on the broadhead instead and do the same thing without adding all the weight.

Heading to the bow shop shortly to pick up my arrows and dial in my site using them. I have a React site where I just have to dial in the 20 and it sets the 40 and 60 automatically, it has worked fine in the past but wondering it if holds true with a heavy arrow.

I was reading the reviews and looks like the 6” will take out a site if the arrows don't clear it on a compound. Thinking 3” or 2”, also looking to see if I can find some thing like thin stiff wire that will slip on the broadhead instead and do the same thing without adding all the weight.

Heading to the bow shop shortly to pick up my arrows and dial in my site using them. I have a React site where I just have to dial in the 20 and it sets the 40 and 60 automatically, it has worked fine in the past but wondering it if holds true with a heavy arrow.
not to my experience.
except maybe it depends on your draw weight , you 70 LBS +

speaking of archery quail. went to pal mnt and just missed one. was walking back to the car and passed a watering hole and saw two different covies of 10 plus birds crossing the road. they neverstood till so I had to time it. walking left to right. aimed just an inch to the right and gave his tail a trim. at 30 yards. he flew off. well at least I know my place has quail in it.

Reactions: TrapLine
speaking of archery quail. went to pal mnt and just missed one. was walking back to the car and passed a watering hole and saw two different covies of 10 plus birds crossing the road. they neverstood till so I had to time it. walking left to right. aimed just an inch to the right and gave his tail a trim. at 30 yards. he flew off. well at least I know my place has quail in it.

Yea they have a pretty big range, even the OC holds them, hitting them is the hard part. If all else fails I am going to mark the locations and go back in October and clean house.

59419F21-E536-4ECA-95F8-82C80D2F7B95.jpeg

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Yea 70# bow but have it dialed back to 56 working my way up. Its pretty versatile, can be dialed back to 35 without changing limbs.
I shoot 56 and never have to change the draw weight. perfect for turkey. great for small game and I'll let ya know about big game. focus on the arrow. find an arrow that carries force

Huge difference in these compared to regular fletching.

0B4267BE-F8BD-4DD4-8131-1B95AD70BC30.png

Getting closer, few minor tweaks.

DB906B28-8C58-49BC-803D-9B368EF576AF.png

here is the final setup I am going to go out with. Flu flu arrows and judo tips, and I thought getting ammunition was hard. I still want to find or make a broad head adapter with wire for the future.

3CBBA0AB-D930-4673-AFFD-DCAF07636404.png

2C39D433-0E1C-4272-B5F7-3D3405B23723.png

Love the variety on the quiver now if nothing more than motivation to drag my self out of bed at 4am, hardest part of hunting.

Polishing the boots.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu