Anyone running Starlink in their RV?

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Wondering if anyone has any feedback on running Starlink in the RV, What kind of power is it pulling and how are you storing and deploying it. My hunting partner is having some health issues at the moment but still likes going out and being in the outdoors even though he will be stuck at camp and cant hunt while he is healing from a pretty major surgery. During Archery season we were able to get 1 bar and watch some sunday night football hotspotting off cell phones but I think starlink would be a better way to go as usually we don't have any signal at camp. He has since added dual lithium 12v 100ah batteries and a larger inverter, 750 watt i believe, to run his TV, and we have the generator to charge up batteries during the day but I have been considering adding starlink into the mix and just turning on and off the service during the months when we will be in the field unless a yearly contract is required. I have seen some used terminals going from $250 to $450. If anyone has any experience running starlink at camp would love to hear it.

John,

My SIL just did a off road trip to Mexico and put Star link on his Razor...He said it worked great...Easy install too..................... :blush:

Reactions: TrapLine
You can get a roaming plan for sl, $165 a month. you can turn it on and off.

Gen2 SL converted to 12v burns 29watts it can run no problem on a 100ah bat.

Link to my off grid setup.

You can get a roaming plan for sl, $165 a month. you can turn it on and off.

Gen2 SL converted to 12v burns 29watts it can run no problem on a 100ah bat.

Link to my off grid setup.
Thats pretty cleaver. Whats to range on a nanobeam? Infinite Line of sight?

Can the sl be permanently mounted or signal direction depends on location?

I used the camping version a couple of weeks back. Hooked it up to our portable battery bank. We had both phones working with all functions. Had my work computer running as well. You literally just had to point the receiver to open sky. It was about the size of a laptop screen. Not sure about the RV draw but I doubt it is much. I was impressed with it overall.

John

Thats pretty cleaver. Whats to range on a nanobeam? Infinite Line of sight?

Can the sl be permanently mounted or signal direction depends on location?
nanobeam do like 5miles ish. They make higher power ones that farther.

The dish works just fine pointing up with no tracking

When a fella spends as much time in the truck and on the roads as much as I do.....it's a must!! Works amazing...trust me ...get one.

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu