Archery hunters allowed to carry firearms (WITH CCW)

entropy

Oct 8, 2018
California Fish and Game Commission to Allow Archery Hunters to Carry Firearms Following NRA and CRPA Petition

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...arry-firearms-following-nra-and-crpa-petition

This came up a few months ago. Anyone knows more about this?

Important to note:

"Current regulations only allow small game archery hunters with a valid CCW to possess self-defense firearms while in the field, which was also prohibited until the Commission approved a similar petition by NRA and CRPA "

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
believe it or not we had that same law in VT, no sidearm when archery hunting. Buying a firearm in VT is the easiest thing in the world, and you can carry whenever wherever concealed or not. makes no sense whoever came up with that. most bowhunters I know carried a pistol when hunting though, and game wardens didnt really care, so not enforced really.

believe it or not we had that same law in VT, no sidearm when archery hunting. Buying a firearm in VT is the easiest thing in the world, and you can carry whenever wherever concealed or not. makes no sense whoever came up with that. most bowhunters I know carried a pistol when hunting though, and game wardens didnt really care, so not enforced really.

I don’t know where you hunt but don’t get caught inSD county they will nail your hide to the barn

Is stupid law , you can carry any gun on kitchen creek that is limit with laguna or pine valley , but no there one thing is carry for protection and other is allowed to fire a gun , I hunt for almost 8 years in SD carry handgun all time with rifle season never need shoot the gun but I feel safe when I haveit in my belt , you never know if you find a lion , inmigrants or drug dealers on the mountains.

In the event a lion attacks, which is extremely rare, you probably won't have time to draw a pistol anyway. But I do like having one while hunting/hiking in the areas I do, as recommended to me by BP due to the high illegal traffic. Although an illegal immigrant is probably about as likely as a lion attack.

The legality of this is weird though. Legally you are allowed to carry concealed while hunting with some exceptions, which includes while bowhunting. But if you have a CCW you can then carry while bowhunting. Odd rules, but I guess it protects against the goons that arrow a deer in the leg and then finish it off with a .45 to the head.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Juan and Dawnandusk
Stay away from the PCT trail.
No camping near by for this hunter.
My Honest opinion. A side are is an other tool for protection. Man or beast.
Just keep your cool and don't panick.
And you all will do alright.
My side arm and my knife are not for deer. You may have a minute or less.

Laws are writen by attorneys who put some many twist to them so no regular citizen can understand them, creating that way, means for them to nail us in any way they see fit.
After reading the article, I, a regular citizen, understand that a bowhunter can carry a pistol or revolver when hunting small or big game EXCEPT when hunting deer.
If I understood right, isn' t it stupid?
I hunt alone with rifles and shotguns. I have been told that I can legaly open carry a side arm when I am in the field. Is it correct?

Good news!! I hope they authorize the publication.

Next topic could be the petition to open the hunt of mountain lions on a regulated basis ( tag system?) to control their population.

Watching at it again. I wonder why the petition did exclude the opportunity to carry a concealed handgun when deer hunting. Isn't it as risky as to hunt any other game?

I'm trying to make sense of it all also... dang meeting

Another question I have is: will hunters be required to have a ccw permit. If so, we are doomed. I spoke to a sheriff deputy and he told me that in case I approach him carrying a rifle or shotgun in the field, he knows I have a fire arm with me already, so carrying a hand gun as long as it is visible to him it is ok. The key here is the word “visible”. Carrying it concealed is a no no.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu