Archery hunters allowed to carry firearms (WITH CCW)

Sorry longbow. I don’t mean to be so harsh about it. I just feel very strongly about it .we hunt small pieces of property in SoCal and it’s not about gun control it’s about self-control, and so many hunters don’t have that and you hear stories of people setting up 50 yards from somebody else’s tree stand and they would be fighting and arguing and somebody would get shot and it would just be more of a mess then it is and make us all look worse then we already do to the antis who already hold all the cards.

Sorry longbow. I don’t mean to be so harsh about it. I just feel very strongly about it .we hunt small pieces of property in SoCal and it’s not about gun control it’s about self-control, and so many hunters don’t have that and you hear stories of people setting up 50 yards from somebody else’s tree stand and they would be fighting and arguing and somebody would get shot and it would just be more of a mess then it is and make us all look worse then we already do to the antis who already hold all the cards.
No worries invisible Man.
I know there are idiots out there.
To your point, something like that could happen..

Yea, stupid law. poachers don't follow regs regardless of whats in them, just Hunters do.

Just hunt coyote, disarm yourself and regear at a waypoint, and start deer hunting. You can always come back for your coyote gear.

If you are doing area specific hunts I could see it, they are more like golf courses and you are more likely to get chased by a grazing cow. Any predators in those areas would of already been depreded for attacking the live stock so no need to carry.

Last edited:
I vote no to fireaams with a archery only tag. I hunt in and close to the most mountain lion infested areas of SoCal. Other then trail cam pics I have never seen or had a problem while hunting. I spend a good amount of time in the dark on the same trails as the cats. Some times I get images on my phone with in minutes of being on the same spot where a cat walked by. They know your coming, they know your there, and they will get out of your way.
The only way to get a shot off in that fight is to walk with your pistol drawn, and hammer pulled back, no thanks!!! If you have the chance to ID him, draw you pistol, aim and fire then you were not being attacked and could have ran him off with intimidation tactics. Stay home if You are scared.
I know, just my opinion.

The argument that a handgun would be useless if you get attack by an animal (in this case a lion) is nonsense. It is like saying.."hey man if a lion attacks,you are already dead so why bother" Are you kidding me? You fight that lion with everything you got and if you had a pistol you pull the trigger the best you can. At least you gave yourself a chance. Perhaps the sound of the shot alone gets the lion of your back.

Stay home if you are scared? What an insult. Why are you scared of hunters carrying a side arm?

There is nothing wrong with a bow hunter wanting to take extra precautions. But then again some people valued their life more than others.

It’s not that I’m scared of getting shot myself. I just think archery only tag should be left archery only. I think if you want to carry a gun for your protection while bow hunting then you should be bow hunting with a general season tag. I might be wrong but I believe you can bow hunt with the general season tag and still carry a handgun and be totally legal as long as you’re not in archery only areas.

It’s not that I’m scared of getting shot myself. I just think archery only tag should be left archery only. I think if you want to carry a gun for your protection while bow hunting then you should be bow hunting with a general season tag. I might be wrong but I believe you can bow hunt with the general season tag and still carry a handgun and be totally legal as long as you’re not in archery only areas.
Well now, that's an interesting grey area. I wonder if it's allowed... (Not that I care because during general season I'm using my rifle)

RE: Being scared.

Personally... I like pushing my boundaries of what I'm comfortable with. Most of you guys have probably been doing this all soo long you've possibly forgotten what you felt like in the beginning when you first started going out Solo. If so, hey, cool for you. I hope to get there one day.

I had a Bobcat get too damn close to me before and I did NOT hear him approaching. It startled me when I saw him soo close, and that weirded me out. It demonstrated for me and made it very apparent that no, you're probably *not* going to hear them approach. It showed me my limitations.

Ever since then... I make sure I always have a sidearm on me in the field. Usually it's in my rt side hipbelt zippered pocket. And if I leave the pack...at all.. I then transfer it into my rt hand pants pocket with pocket holster on it. It's a lil 1911 .380 that I carry it "Cocked-and-Locked". But that's only when I'm in country with no bears and just MtnLions. When there are bears, .357 Mag center-chest rig is always on me.

You can talk all the isht you want... but like the saying goes "A man's got to know his limitations.". I know my limitations, and there are quite a few of them. So I wanna stack the odds in my favor any possible way I can. That doesn't make me scared, that makes me wise. So you know what you can do with deez.

If I could carry I would, since the law says I can't I will abide. On my rookie year of deer hunting I heard that a lion was in the area I was going to hunt. Since I couldn't carry I had like 3 knives with me...kinda funny now but it calmed my nerves at the time. Now i'm down to my belt knife but that I always carry anyways.

Working on that permit next...

I know I'm kind of late to this conversation AND the following is slightly off topic (but related) but did you know that even if you have a CCW permit you are not allowed to carry AT ANY TIME on a state wildlife area? To me this seems kind of strange. I mean, take for example our two main WAs in So Cal, Wister and SJ. EVERYBODY out there during duck season has a damn shotgun with them yet if I had a CCW permit I couldn't carry a .380 under my shirt. What in hell do they think I'm going to do with it out there anyway, skybust 300 yard geese (like that would be successful with a handgun, LOL). In actuality it wouldn't even be that important to carry on the WAs, it's the trip out there and back where you might need it, (think of the good old road rage folks, which seem to be more prevalent all the time). It's just the hassle of stopping somewhere before you get to the WA, disarming, unloading and locking the thing up in a safe in the truck (if you have one) and then having to repeat the process in reverse when you leave. Plus, the risk of the theft of the firearm since it's sitting in your unattended vehicle (that is usually out of your sight). I just think that one is kind of a strange regulation.

• Love
Reactions: TheGDog
14 CCR § 354
§ 354. Archery Equipment and Crossbow Regulations.
(h) Archers may not use or possess a firearm while in the field engaged in archery hunting during an archery season or while hunting during a general season under the provisions of an archery only tag except as provided in subsections (h)(1) or (h)(2).

(1) An archer may carry a firearm capable of being concealed on his or her person while engaged in the taking of big game other than deer with a bow and arrow in accordance with subdivision (h), but shall not take or attempt to take big game with the firearm.

Reactions: MJB
I'm lost......Larry didn't write a novel?

It must be a dog thing.......just having fun......

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu