archery missfire ????

steveo007

Nov 24, 2011
chula vista
target shooting at my neighbors ,heard a funky sound, my arrow nock bounces in front of the target, no arrow in sight oh crap!!! finally found it in between the fences about 10 yards
past our target, apon examination of the arrow i noticed the end where the nock fits is shreaded,im a nube on archery ,im thinkin the nock was loose,is this considered a dry fire, i checked my cams they seem to be ok
thanks in advance for any info :-[

Attachments

• arrow.jpg
    arrow.jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 26
Steve,

I'm not a archery expert, but if you shot the arrow, I wouldn't think it's a dry fire......How it got like that will take someone that shoots a lot more than me......What the arrow hit is possibly why the carbon shattered.

the string probably wasn't seated all the way into the nock. as you pulled back and released there was a tiny gap. just enough for all that energy to slam into the end of the arrow. your lucky I've seen serious damage from it. check your servings and your string and cable. that will also happen if the end of the arrow was slightly cracked. you are lucky the arrow didn't explode as it was leaving your rest.

Invisible man said:
the string probably wasn't seated all the way into the nock. as you pulled back and released there was a tiny gap. just enough for all that energy to slam into the end of the arrow. your lucky I've seen serious damage from it. check your servings and your string and cable. that will also happen if the end of the arrow was slightly cracked. you are lucky the arrow didn't explode as it was leaving your rest.

inspecting the rest of my arrows some nocks seem loose than others should they be glued in? also is there a good book i should get with this kind of info for a nube archer thanks invisible man.

all nock should fit tight and should be able to spin with some force. never glue them in. if you all the same size and some are loose you better inspect the arrows. if there is hair line cracks where the nock slide in do not use the arrow.

Steve, where did you get the arrows and what make and model? Also who cut them for you? Are they the right material for your draw weight? I'd take the bow and the arrows to Bruce to check them before you shoot again.

I think InvisableMan is right about checking out the sever had to get mine replaces was ruining knocks and caused a misfire.

A buddy told me about cheap arrows available at Walmart, but I was afraid the specs on the shafts wouldn't be good enough to guarantee their safe use with my Carbon Knight with its draw weight set to 60#. I'm sure you guys with more knowledge are comfortable making your own selections, but I feel safer buying arrows from a shop that knows what I need for my bow.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu