Archery Quail

sportyg

Oct 28, 2011
SoCal
Archery quail opened yesterday who's headed out to hunt them? I'll be hitting one of the local spots in the next day or two

WAIT, i can hunt quail with my long bow now? wow you do learn something new everyday..... GAME ON.

• Love
Reactions: sportyg
I need to upgrade my bow first, but would love to try it and some pheasant also. Can take hen with archery, I think... read regs.

Back in Wis. when I was but a child, my dad hunted pheasant and rabbits with Fred Bear recurve. He told me pheasant were actually pretty easy, rabbits harder because they were always darting around.

Hey guys, So I would need to upgrade to a "drop away rest" in order to fling fluflu's? Anything else I would need? I'm going to hit up Bruce for some help over at bow n arrow. sorry for the thread jack.

I'm using Easton arrows for flu flu's, also carry a couple Trophy Hunter Pros with judos for rabbits and or I have to make a longer shot. It was to windy today to fling arrows at quail today . Will head out after the winds die down. Even took my flag down, winds hitting close to 40 mph. I agree with using a drop a way with your flu flu's. I have a bow setup for shooting them and another setup for general hunting . However I have shot them off both bows and didn't see any difference in flight. OOPs I'm using 100gr judos with the larger wire. I have both the large wire and the small which I use for rabbits. Blunts will do the job as well but I don't use them. Judos help to keep you from losing your arrows as well.

Last edited:
Went out yesterday morning wind died down. Decided to try my bow with the whisker biscuit, bad move. Puts to much drag on flu flu's took three shots all dropped short. Next time I'll use the bow with the drop a way rest. Saw four rabbits and about 20 quail. Rabbits were smart they would let me get into shooting range then run before I could get a shot off. The quail I shot at were at about 20 yards, but my arrows dropped at about 16/18 yds hence no more using a whisker biscuit with flu flu's. Will try again after the weekend. stay tuned.

As I mentioned in previous post, my dad use to hunt various small game with bow and arrow. I'm pretty sure he just used target type arrows. That was before any real advancement in arrow design. I use to shoot lots of carp with bow and arrow, lots of fun and and a challenge when they were below the surface opposed to just sucking air on top water, Of course when they were doing that it was a one shot deal. Guts are great catfish bait. Keep us posted when you go at it again.

As I mentioned in previous post, my dad use to hunt various small game with bow and arrow. I'm pretty sure he just used target type arrows. That was before any real advancement in arrow design. I use to shoot lots of carp with bow and arrow, lots of fun and and a challenge when they were below the surface opposed to just sucking air on top water, Of course when they were doing that it was a one shot deal. Guts are great catfish bait. Keep us posted when you go at it again.
Will do sir, I also hunt crap with a bow mostly at Lake Elsinore

Reactions: IVhunter

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu