Avian X decoy repair

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
A couple of years ago I decided to invest in Fred Zink's decoys, after he'd sold out to Avian X. Well, 2 out my 3 Avian X decoys have held up fine for nearly two years, but one kept losing air. It's under two years old and the seals failed again last Saturday as it sat in the morning sun. I called the company and the customer service was laughable: no repair kit, no advice except to use super glue or gorilla glue if I could figure out where to put it.
I had used rubber cement last time around, when the top screw had fallen off, but that part seemed okay. This time, the screw stayed attached but the stake tube had come apart inside the decoy. I did some research online, and there was really nothing available for guidance. So I carefully took the whole thing apart and managed to put it back in working order (I think). We'll see if it holds air. Anyway, if anyone has Zink or Avian X decoys with problems, feel free to ask me. Don't expect any help from that lame crowd at Avian X.
Meanwhile, I'm going to give Avian X very low marks online. I've had better service and support from other companies for items that cost a quarter what these decoys cost. Next time I'll just go with DSD.

Don,

I'm assuming these are turkey decoys.....I've never cared for blow-up type decoys, because of the reasons you just mentioned.....I use Avian X honker decoys (not inflatables) and never had any issues, other than their base design was flawed. (they have since changed it).....The Avian X decoys are good looking and they have their place when it comes to mobility.....With the decoys costing 80 bucks, I would think the service would be better.....Disappointing to hear about a company that historically sells a 1st class product (made in China tho).

Shoe Goo is what I use on many types of decoys and if you can find the leak., I'd give that a try.....You may want to put the whole decoy in the tub and find it. If it's on the main body, I would consider a plug, similar to a tire plug....Just smaller.

ilovesprig said:
Don,

I'm assuming these are turkey decoys.....I've never cared for blow-up type decoys, because of the reasons you just mentioned.....I use Avian X honker decoys (not inflatables) and never had any issues, other than their base design was flawed. (they have since changed it).....The Avian X decoys are good looking and they have their place when it comes to mobility.....With the decoys costing 80 bucks, I would think the service would be better.....Disappointing to hear about a company that historically sells a 1st class product (made in China tho).

Shoe Goo is what I use on many types of decoys and if you can find the leak., I'd give that a try.....You may want to put the whole decoy in the tub and find it. If it's on the main body, I would consider a plug, similar to a tire plug....Just smaller.
Thanks Steve. Yes, turkey. The skin of the decoys is thick and tough. It's the joints where it was assembled that have given out. The only one of those that I haven't yet re-done is the air valve so hopefully that's not going to fail.

Well then, it's shoe Goo........Or you could go to the top with DSD's....... ;)

ps......Always wondered how those seams with heavy rubber would hold up being folded.

Will let you know how it holds up, but yeah, for the money might as well have gone for DSDs. Live and learn ;)

Howdy, I have several of them, I bought them several years ago. I contacted Avian, and they replaced all of them with new products, this year. Even sent free return shipping. The know problem is inside the stake hole, that were you would add the super glue to. Hope this helps.

Bonejour said:
A couple of years ago I decided to invest in Fred Zink's decoys, after he'd sold out to Avian X. Well, 2 out my 3 Avian X decoys have held up fine for nearly two years, but one kept losing air. It's under two years old and the seals failed again last Saturday as it sat in the morning sun. I called the company and the customer service was laughable: no repair kit, no advice except to use super glue or gorilla glue if I could figure out where to put it.
I had used rubber cement last time around, when the top screw had fallen off, but that part seemed okay. This time, the screw stayed attached but the stake tube had come apart inside the decoy. I did some research online, and there was really nothing available for guidance. So I carefully took the whole thing apart and managed to put it back in working order (I think). We'll see if it holds air. Anyway, if anyone has Zink or Avian X decoys with problems, feel free to ask me. Don't expect any help from that lame crowd at Avian X.
Meanwhile, I'm going to give Avian X very low marks online. I've had better service and support from other companies for items that cost a quarter what these decoys cost. Next time I'll just go with DSD.

Don,

I had the same issue with a hen decoy I bought right before the season this year. I will be contacting avian x this week. I'll keep you guys posted if they are not helpful to me as well!!

CenterMass said:
Howdy, I have several of them, I bought them several years ago. I contacted Avian, and they replaced all of them with new products, this year. Even sent free return shipping. The know problem is inside the stake hole, that were you would add the super glue to. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I thought they might do that, but she was not interested in helping. I read on another site that the guy kept calling and eventually got Fred Zink himself, who promptly sent a replacement. That's what I think they should do, and apparently that was your experience. I'll call again and keep asking to speak to the person's supervisor. Maybe that will help.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu