AZ OTC Archery

The Deer Guy

Apr 4, 2016
Well I just got back a couple of days ago from my AZ archery deer trip. Didn’t know the area so the first couple of days were spend hiking miles and miles glassing. Finally found the deer on day 3 (saw a few in the first 2 days but not what we were after). Day 3 we hunted higher elevation and found the deer were way more active with the cooler weather. Saw a decent amount of bucks but only 1 really nice one. Attempted a stalk on him but we were pressed for time as it was the last day and we were supposed to have left 2 hrs prior. Stalked the buck and got to 100 yds then the wind swirled and he busted out. I’m estimating him to be about a 150” 4x3 (26” wide and about that tall). Had a blast though in beautiful country and saw lots of game (muley, coues, elk, javelina, turkeys and bear). Can’t wait for next year!

Josh

AA9EF3F3-5E88-4D12-8405-2031F2B5F5C6.png578CAEF0-03DE-4CBB-B884-31AEB94E3F63.png667F8738-495C-4844-856C-A47831948FE1.png

Great trip, Josh....Whether you're hunting deer, elk, turkey, etc.....It takes time to learn the lay of the land.....Next time you'll feel more comfortable and success will be at a higher %.

Reactions: The Deer Guy
Sounds like a great trip I have been wanting to do an Az OTC trip but maybe next year. At least you know the area for next time. Just being out there is why I go getting a deer is a bonus even though I get a little disappointed too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next year you will be much better prepared after doing a lot of the groundwork this year. Progress...

I want to go on January wiht 3 more friends but we dont know what area choose some friends from performance archery in San Diego they recomend all south tucson near to border, other guys all north phoenix area , so we need more research for sure maybe we dont kill but any day on the wild mountains is better than the job!!

Reactions: Lungpopper
I want to go on January wiht 3 more friends but we dont know what area choose some friends from performance archery in San Diego they recomend all south tucson near to border, other guys all north phoenix area , so we need more research for sure maybe we dont kill but any day on the wild mountains is better than the job!!

Ppbets,

If I was going in January I’d go south in search of rutting coues. Try the units along the border near Nogales. 35b, 36b, 34a are all good units. 20a can be cool too. That time of year you can hunt javelina and deer if you play your cards right.

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Ppbets,

If I was going in January I’d go south in search of rutting coues. Try the units along the border near Nogales. 35b, 36b, 34a are all good units. 20a can be cool too. That time of year you can hunt javelina and deer if you play your cards right.

Josh

Thank you Josh !!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu