Back from a bit of a hiatus

Hiryuu

Aug 24, 2019
San Diego
Im glad this site is still up and running. Been away for a bit since i was unable to get out. Since i picked up my new shotgun yesterday i figured id check back in. I got a Remington 870 fieldmaster 12ga since they finally started selling a couple months ago. I was previously stuck with my friends 22lr, so limited to rabbits only. He moved to az, so i lost access. I know bird season is opening up soon, so im a bit excited to get back out. I got 2 boxes each of kent upland faststeel in #5 & #6. I know i need to get out and pattern before i go hunt. Also need to zero my sight, i put a sig romeo 4t on it. I have a deer tag, but didnt see any slugs when i was at turners. Im hoping southbay r&g allows for patterning since ive never been there. Planning a trip maybe next weekend. Always looking for tips, but hopefully i can get out this season and actually get some meat in the freezer.

Welcome back! Also interested in hearing tips on hunting deer with slugs

Welcome back........ :blush:

If you're going to hunt deer....INVEST in a rifle (with scope)....Lots of those available at very reasonable prices....To start, stick with a .270 or 30-06...Green ammo readily available everywhere.

ps...Quail season opens Oct. 15th....Duck season opens Oct. 22nd....Euro season open year round...2nd half dove & pheasant opens Nov. 12th...Learn the Imperial Valley....;)

Good luck

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
Welcome back........ :blush:

If you're going to hunt deer....INVEST in a rifle (with scope)....Lots of those available at very reasonable prices....To start, stick with a .270 or 30-06...Green ammo readily available everywhere.

ps...Quail season opens Oct. 15th....Duck season opens Oct. 22nd....Euro season open year round...2nd half dove & pheasant opens Nov. 12th...Learn the Imperial Valley....;)

Good luck
A good bolt action is going to be my next purchase. Was originally thinking of going .308. Just need to save up for it. I do already have a couple spare scopes. A vortex diamondback and a leupold vx-3i. I also have a nikon for 22lr, but ive already done a season with 22 for rabbits. Came back empty handed every time, so its lower on the list. I figured since i have the tag ill atleast give it a go with the 12ga.

Yeah i just re-downloaded the regs a couple days ago. Wasnt going for duck this year, but everything else. May look into duck for next year.

Reactions: ilovesprig
It sounds like you are well on your way.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about patterning it. I patterned my shotgun for the first time this year and have been killing stuff with it for over a decade.

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
It sounds like you are well on your way.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about patterning it. I patterned my shotgun for the first time this year and have been killing stuff with it for over a decade.
The most common questions I got from new hunters regarding bird hunting for years were as follows:

Where are you hunting? - Outside
What choke are you using? - Whatever it says on the side of the barrel
What size shot are you using? The stuff that was available/on sale

The stuff that new hunters feel is important. Experience and time in the field trumps all that other stuff. They'll figure out what works best for them over time.
Oh and shotguns for deer are really only for shotgun only areas IMHO.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu