Backup gun or upgrade?

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Reigniting an old post I had once... so I have about $650 in gift cards I'd like to use toward a new shotgun and am debating whether I should buy a sub-gauge (20) O/U as a backup/upland gun, or if I should upgrade my current do-it-all autoloader. Here's my internal debate as it stands...

Argument for the backup gun:
Looking at getting a Franchi Instinct L in 20 gauge, MSRP $1200, will cost me about $600 out of pocket. My intention's to use it for dove, rabbit, and occasional trap. I don't hunt quail as much as I used to, but would be used for that too. I just always wanted a light shooting O/U because I think they're cool and don't have the money for a Beretta or Browning. My current autoloader, a Franchi Affinity in 12G, already gets the job done for me in all things waterfowl, turkey, and hot dove shoots. I want to upgrade to a Super Black Eagle 3, but that would cost me about $800 out of pocket, assuming I can sell my Franchi for $650 or so. And since I don't ever shoot 3.5" shells, I'm not sure the SB3 upgrade is really worth my investment if I already have a reliable autoloader.

Argument against the backup gun:
Would I really use the 20G as often as I think? Wouldn't I rather have the "best" autoloader to do everything I already do with my Affinity and more? My Affinity is a great gun, but I've always dreamed of upgrading to the SBE3 so I can be like the cool kids. I had my first failure with my Affinity this past duck season, when I got the infamous "Benelli click" on a couple springing mallards... I knocked it hard against my canoe and it apparently went out of battery, so I missed my chance on the greenheads. The new SBE3 has fixed that problem that all Benelli Inertia Drive guns like my Franchi used to have, by implementing a new bolt head retention system. So I wouldn't have to worry about that anymore. But I would have to sell my Affinity, which selling used guns is always a pain unless you have a buyer lined up already.

So there it is all laid out... thoughts?

Reigniting an old post I had once... so I have about $650 in gift cards I'd like to use toward a new shotgun and am debating whether I should buy a sub-gauge (20) O/U as a backup/upland gun, or if I should upgrade my current do-it-all autoloader. Here's my internal debate as it stands...

Looking at getting a Franchi Instinct L in 20 gauge, MSRP $1200, will cost me about $600 out of pocket. My intention's to use it for dove, rabbit, and occasional trap. I don't hunt quail as much as I used to, but would be used for that too. I just always wanted a light shooting O/U because I think they're cool and don't have the money for a Beretta or Browning. My current autoloader, a Franchi Affinity in 12G, already gets the job done for me in all things waterfowl, turkey, and hot dove shoots. I want to upgrade to a Super Black Eagle 3, but that would cost me about $800 out of pocket, assuming I can sell my Franchi for $650 or so. And since I don't ever shoot 3.5" shells, I'm not sure the SB3 upgrade is really worth my investment if I already have a reliable autoloader.

Would I really use the 20G as often as I think? Wouldn't I rather have the "best" autoloader to do everything I already do with my Affinity and more? My Affinity is a great gun, but I've always dreamed of upgrading to the SBE3 so I can be like the cool kids. I had my first failure with my Affinity this past duck season, when I got the infamous "Benelli click" on a couple springing mallards... I knocked it hard against my canoe and it apparently went out of battery, so I missed my chance on the greenheads. The new SBE3 has fixed that problem that all Benelli Inertia Drive guns like my Franchi used to have, by implementing a new bolt head retention system. So I wouldn't have to worry about that anymore. But I would have to sell my Affinity, which selling used guns is always a pain unless you have a buyer lined up already.

There is a lot to consider there Jason,
I may not be the one that is going to give you the "best" advice here, but I understand you, I am going through the same questions trying to decide what rifle to buy. I am of the opinion that if funds are tight, I would buy the tool that will get the job done no matter what. We invest a lot of money on travel and licenses to be looking at saving a couple of hundred bucks on a gun. Spread those extra bucks on 10 or 20 years and you will see a more clear picture. I understand that you might use the new gun as a backup? Are you planning on taking both shotguns with you on all your travels? If you leave the back up one in the safe and your other shotgun has a failure it will not do you any good. I don't know anything about the Affinity but I have heard good things about them. I personally would upgrade if I needed to. If I had a lot of money burning my pocket I would buy another gun that would serve a more particular need. Fancy guns are for the club, the field requires guns that can take it and that you wouldn't care if it scratches.
It is just my opinion.

Lots of options. Personally I like the idea of having a backup shotgun, seasons are short if you ever need to leave it at a smith or send it to the factory. 12GA is is a lot more versatile and keeps your ammo simpler. I've been carrying steel dove loads around for 2 years and still haven't shot one. How much of a handicap will steel be out of a 20ga? You could keep your current gun as a backup and spring for the SBE3 when you can, get an M2 cheaper since you don't need 3.5" capabilty or look at other guns like the SX4 (find an SX3 cheaper?). Browning and Winchester firearms are the same company. Beretta A300 is a good deal too. I've thought many times about getting a separate gun for upland hunting but I think shooting my Benelli all summer at doves helps me hit ducks with it in the fall.

Jason,

Do you have any other backup 12 gauge? If not, that may be a good place to start. The Affinity is a mighty fine gun, but of course there are better auto loaders. I always just throw a pump in the truck as my back up. If you dont have a current 12 G backup. Then maybe a pump is where you start.

If you do, then buy the over under.

Hell, come here and hunt ducks and you can shoot green heads with that 20 gauge O/U. Can even take you to shoot wood ducks too. Haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD

All I hunt with is a 20ga,hunted in Mexico for 20 years for ducks,quail,dove and pheasants using a 20ga and a .410. I shoot sporting clays with my 28ga and 20 ga. I don’t shoot my 12ga very often, they all are Brownings over and unders.

Forget the sbe3 and just get the a400

Last edited:
Just get the SBE 3 and forget the A400.....lol

Jason....You know I'm a Benelli guy....With steel being the norm soon....I would go with the Benelli M-2 or something similar in the Benelli family....One ounce steel loads are really light and a 20 gauge with a 7/8 of steel 7's is super light.....Just my 2 cents.

ps....In Montana, I only shoot the Benelli M-2, 20 gauge for all upland....But I can shoot 3" lead there.

I love carrying my 20g Citori. It’s the gun I always reach for these days, even though my 12g Wingmaster has killed far more birds. I have pointing dogs though and pretty much the only thing I hunt with a shotgun is upland. The 20g O/U is such a pleasure to carry, I really don’t mind having one less shot, although in waterfowl it is a handicap. You could call it a bit more “sporting” if it makes you feel better. I like having choices. If you have a good auto loader that works, and it seems like you’ve given your current gun a pretty good review, why not add something different to the quiver? You’ll appreciate them each for what they each do really well, just like surfboards. And who doesn’t want to own more guns? As you said, selling used guns can be kind of a crapshoot. Tough to get what you think it’s worth.

Jason,

One of the guns being raffled off at the tune-up is a Stoeger 20 gauge, O/U....Not a bad entry level gun....Comes with extended tubes (4) and feels pretty nice....Shoots 3" as well....May want to pick it up and get a feel for an O/U.

Jason,

Do you have any other backup 12 gauge? If not, that may be a good place to start. The Affinity is a mighty fine gun, but of course there are better auto loaders. I always just throw a pump in the truck as my back up. If you dont have a current 12 G backup. Then maybe a pump is where you start.

If you do, then buy the over under.

Hell, come here and hunt ducks and you can shoot green heads with that 20 gauge O/U. Can even take you to shoot wood ducks too. Haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Nick,

I had an 870 as my backup but sold it a little while ago to fund a Mosin project. Wish I didn't sell it, but oh well.

Did you say wood ducks? I'm there...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jason,

One of the guns being raffled off at the tune-up is a Stoeger 20 gauge, O/U....Not a bad entry level gun....Comes with extended tubes (4) and feels pretty nice....Shoots 3" as well....May want to pick it up and get a feel for an O/U.
Steve,

That's cool you went with that.. I remember the question of that sub-gauge O/U versus a "turkey gun". I'll definitely check it out if I can sneak away from my post...

I love carrying my 20g Citori. It’s the gun I always reach for these days, even though my 12g Wingmaster has killed far more birds. I have pointing dogs though and pretty much the only thing I hunt with a shotgun is upland. The 20g O/U is such a pleasure to carry, I really don’t mind having one less shot, although in waterfowl it is a handicap. You could call it a bit more “sporting” if it makes you feel better. I like having choices. If you have a good auto loader that works, and it seems like you’ve given your current gun a pretty good review, why not add something different to the quiver? You’ll appreciate them each for what they each do really well, just like surfboards. And who doesn’t want to own more guns? As you said, selling used guns can be kind of a crapshoot. Tough to get what you think it’s worth.

Well said Kellen. Great metaphor of surfboards and guns.. my wife's heard that one from me before lol. Care to sell your Wingmaster? Always loved those. My buddy had a great set of 1960s Wingmasters passed down to him, 3 of them, in 12, 16, and 20 gauges.. pretty cool.

Steve,

That's cool you went with that.. I remember the question of that sub-gauge O/U versus a "turkey gun". I'll definitely check it out if I can sneak away from my post...

Jason,

We have a turkey gun as well....Mossberg camo 935

Well said Kellen. Great metaphor of surfboards and guns.. my wife's heard that one from me before lol. Care to sell your Wingmaster? Always loved those. My buddy had a great set of 1960s Wingmasters passed down to him, 3 of them, in 12, 16, and 20 gauges.. pretty cool.

That sounds like an awesome collection! I'll never sell it... most of the shotguns in my safe I inherited when my uncle died. He gave me the 870 a few years before he passed as he had switched to using the Citori. I got the Citori and a brand new Montefeltro from him too but the 870 reminds me of him most.

nothing feels better than a nice, light, fast swinging 20 gauge O/U while hunting birds especially quail.
On those long hikes it feels like a tooth pick compared to a 12 gauge.
Also fits real nice broken down balances right on your shoulder.
Used to have a Ithica 20 gauge O/U, handed it down to my daughter, I'm also due for a new O/U.
lets hear some reviews on O/U shotguns.

I was at Prado a while back and I got to handle the Montefeltro 20 ga. I almost could not let go of it but I did not shoot it. A buddy picked up a used Beretta O/U 20 silver pigeon and I have shot it on Trap, hard to miss with it. I have 2 Franchi 20 ga Affinities which I am happy with.

So, in conclusion...Like baseball bats...They (guns) can all produce hits....But what feels (fits) good to one person may not feel (fit) good to someone else...So thru trial and error, I've come to the conclusion that Benelli feels and fits me best...Be it a 20 or 12.

It could be different for you, Jason...I do know , and again like bats (Benelli) is well fitted for many.

Buy a light 12 (camo M-2) and adapt to waterfowl and upland with the loads you shoot....:blush:

ps....Also, like the back safety on most Benelli guns.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu