Barnes Copper Bullet FAILURE - Copper Super Fail!

I had this same deal happen on a buck a few years ago. Federal copper bullets. I shot the deer in the lungs broadside and I found the bullet in the skin. I will find the picture and post it up later. The deer did need a follow up shot

Looking at your close up of the bullet and its condition and thinking about how you said it was shot through the heart which means it would probably not have struck bone I would say that the bullet struck dirt tumbled and struck the pig. I shoot both Nosler's and Barnes and have dug many Barnes out of my dirt backstop. The scratches I see on your bullet are sharp which would not happen on flesh and are similar to the bullets I have dug up on my range.

Dirt! Hey I am sticking with a Tree! I am not that bad of a shot!!!

LOL

:-\

They were really not that far...max 125 yards. I could see that guy totally broadside on shot #2.

No disrespect about your shooting abilities, Just throwing out questions and possibilities, I've been involved in a few "shoot outs ". My hunting partners and I have come out of more than one experience having sat and shot shoulder to shoulder and told three different stories after the outcome.

Ha! No worries. Everyone on THIS site are super courteous and respectful. That is refreshing. I was on level ground, perpendicular at a 90 degree angle to the guy, standing. If anything I was slightly elevated. I expected the bullet to hit dirt after it passed through the pig.

But I was shooting at them as they ran through trees so I can see that as a possibility. Super interesting conversation, thanks to everyone for the replies. I am glad I mentioned this as I learned a ton through this exercise.

I will be using this bullet in my 30-06 168g on a pig hunt this month hoping it performs a little better than your picture. I have heard nothing but good things about them but I guess wierd things can happen to any bullet.

Copper federal .270 bullet vs a 7mm lead bullet.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427930902.994734.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427930902.994734.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 26
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427930912.733166.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427930912.733166.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 27
Picked up a box of these from Bass Pro Shops yesterday on the way home. Still looks like a Barnes Bullet...I don't think I have a choice! Wonder how the casing will impact performance? Brass on Weatherby brand, Nickel plated.

Federal_zpsa06cddbb.gif

Federal2_zpshnths8zq.gif

Attachments

• Federal_zpsa06cddbb.gif
    Federal_zpsa06cddbb.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Federal2_zpshnths8zq.gif
    Federal2_zpshnths8zq.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
I've been using Barnes bullets for several years in both muzzleloaders and a .308 without any problems. I have found that (for both rifles) the TSX's are more accurate than the TTSX's. Here's photo of one that went through a 250# hog. Expansion was perfect. It just doesn't get any better!

Attachments

• Pig hunt 021.JPG
    Pig hunt 021.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
Here is a Barnes 175 gr LRX shot into wet phone books at 200 yds. Went about 8-10 inches when I dug it out.
Looks like they advertise.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    929.1 KB · Views: 11

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu