Barrett ?

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
According to the lady,we will be hunting Barrett Lake on November 25, 28 ?

I have never hunted waterfowl but she has been her entire life with her dad so they have there system set up BUT!!!!

What can I expect and what are some must have items to help increase my success, gear for the weather, any good choke ideas? (I'm running a beretta A300 outlander 2"3/4-3") how about a good crap shell ?

I don't have any waterfowl gear except waders that I use for float tubing? I also have a mallard call I been blowing in..... I trained my house cat to respond to predator calls and duck calls :D

So any gear tips or waterfowl hunting tricks would be much appreciated I just can't wait to get out there (after D16 of course)

Re: Barret ?

I'm no waterfowler, so maybe Sprig or someone else on here can answer your question on calls, decoys, etc. But I have hunted Barrett before, maybe 3-4 years ago, so I can offer some insight on how that went for us. First off, make sure you're on time, otherwise if you're late, you may get locked out and your hunt rez ends there. Then everyone draws for blinds.. I forget the numbers but we hunted the furthest one back by Hauser. If we were to do it again, we might've picked the northern one off Pine Creek. Anyway, we got to our spot early which gave us enough time to make a small blind out of the reeds there and setup our spread. We threw a basic mallard/teal setup I think. Whatever it was, it didn't work because we ended up with no sitters in our spread by dawn, although we heard some flyers in the pre-dawn darkness. At 9am they let you 'boat hunt' which means you can jump in your rental jon, relocate, and pass shoot on the water, although keep in mind you can't shoot while under motor power. So basically move elsewhere, cut your engine, and watch for flyers. Mostly ruddys zipping around but some real ducks too, although we didn't see that many, maybe a few mallards and cin teals here and there. Be prepared for some nasty mud in spots when landing your boat, esp since the lake is low. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info and I'm not concerned about calls and decoys since the group I'm with are duck hunting maniacs........ The thing is they aren't very talkative and not very helpful wen asking them questions haha

Gloves to cover your hands and a mesh facemask or facepaint is good. maybe some blind snacks and something to drink. As far as shells go, 3" 3s and improved cylinder if decoying birds and modified if pass shooting. As far as how to be in the blind? Don't sky bust at birds you cant hit, be still, be quiet and be patient. I am sure the group already does, but something to cover the boat with, I think they are white Carolina skiff's...

When Barrett is high it can be really good......It's very low......That said, I'd plan on just enjoying the experience with more seasoned waterfowlers.....If there any kind of guys and you do get some action, they'll let you shoot 1st. I wouldn't be calling either, unless they say give it a try....Think feeding calls....Ruddys are now the duck of choice at Barrett (divers).....Fast and hard to hit....Hit 'em in the front half..... ;)

I've always liked the back of Hauser, but the Pine Creek area can be good too....They no doubt know this.

Shells?......Wal-Mart sells steel loads for about $14.00 a box......Buy 2 boxes of Federal 3" 1 1/8 #3's.

It can be cold. So dress accordingly in camo. You can always shed stuff, as the morning warms up.

Good luck

ps.....The picture is Barrett with high water.....Mostly ringnecks & teal this morning.

Attachments

• barrett lake 1992[1].jpg
    barrett lake 1992[1].jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 31
Snake Charmer said:
Steve, I'm guessing with your experience at Barrett you must know George and Eugene ?

Fred,

Hansen?......Probably met them......Don't know them.

Actually it was my friend Cal, Skip Bowman, and Bob Walker that were the guru's of Barrett and the city lakes.

Skip and Bob, class acts, SD City Lake royalty and legends. Hansen bros could kill some ducks!

I learned a lot watching Skip, Bob and their boys. Another legend I really learned a lot from, Ray Montera.

Mike,

Went over Skip's house the other day......What a museum of waterfowl stuff.....He's been in poor health, but seemed excited about the upcoming season (still has a blind on the sea)......As you're probably aware, Bob Walker has passed away.....Life long friends and great guys.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu